Good Morning | Teen Ink

Good Morning

January 5, 2010
By taylor93kelly BRONZE, Elgin, Illinois
taylor93kelly BRONZE, Elgin, Illinois
1 article 0 photos 1 comment

The bitter morning fog infolded her, the mist sprinkled down upon her face like soft fairy kisses. As she made her way back up the driveway, she heard a frog croaking in the near by pond. She turned and heard a turtle splash into its underwater home. She strolled along the edge of the gravel driveway, kicking the pebbles under her feet. Humming her nonsense morning tune under her breath, she reached the porch once again. She plopped her self down into the old white wicker rocking chair. The creaks and squeaks of the old chair almost put her back to sleep as she sipped her first cup of coffee for the day. Her eyes gazed down, Pepper the old hound dog, was sitting beside her. She kept her old legs and back straight and her head held high. Her eyes, that where now surrounded by white hair were alert and focused. She seemed to be scanning her territory, she may have been an old girl but she could still protect her house. The woman looked up from her faithful companion and let her eyes wander. Sitting up on the porch, you got an amazing view of the property. The house rested on a big hill, you could see everything every thing from the porch. It was the best spot to be in the early morning hours; sometimes you saw the deer grazing on the dew filled grass. Other times you heard the frogs croaking like she did this morning. And almost always she saw the hawk soaring above the trees searching for its breakfast. The morning fog was her friend and she enjoyed its company. She liked to watch as it left how all the beautiful nature it had been hiding appeared. Not every morning did the fog greet her, but when it did she welcomed him. The morning mist that fell from the trees made her feel peaceful and calm. She closed her eyes as it kissed her face. As she sat there on her old rickety white chair she thought to herself how much some people were missing out. How the little city children would never wake up to natures calls and how they’d never see a fawn and its mother grazing in their front yard. They deserved to see all of God’s stunning creations. She swallowed her last sip of coffee and looked one last time at the nature surrounding her. She pushed herself up out of the chair and moseyed to the torn screen door. An earsplitting creak filled the silent air as the door opened. Her serenity was over for now, she would come back this evening and say hello to her firefly friends.