Memories of a Haunting Past | Teen Ink

Memories of a Haunting Past

By mecthespeck DIAMOND, Nashville, Tennessee
mecthespeck DIAMOND, Nashville, Tennessee

As he sat alone in the dark, wondering what the point of continuing to live on this earth without anyone to love was, there was a knock on the door. With great inconvenience, being crippled and all, he crawled to the door, wincing in pain all the way. He slowly and achingly twisted the door open and there he saw a woman standing there. She looked worried and confused, her confusion increasing as she looked around to find no one standing there to greet her.
“Hello?” she called hesitantly.
“Down here.” The man said with a crackly voice from lack of water.
She looked down and when she saw him, she screamed out in terror, dropping her purse and putting her hand to her heart. She gasped.
“What happened to you?”
The man couldn’t bring himself to tell her of the tragic fire which haunted his past and one look into his misery-filled eyes told her not to pry.
“You poor man, let me help you. We’ve got to get you to a hospital right away! My car broke down, but if I could just use your phone then I can get my brother-in-law to come pick us up and get you to the hospital.”
He looked gratefully up at her and managed to point towards the kitchen where the phone lay. She nodded and quickly said;
“I’ll be right back, you just keep holding on.” And with that, she rushed into the kitchen.
The man just lay there and, for the first time since the accident, a smile crept over his face. His prayers had been answered, help had finally come. Everything was going to be okay.