The Room | Teen Ink

The Room

By ScottyMitchell BRONZE, Sedan, Kansas
ScottyMitchell BRONZE, Sedan, Kansas

It was just another night of fun. As always, I called a bunch of people to come over. Everyone loves my hose. It is absolutely amazing. The best part about the house is definitely the game room. There is always so much to do. If you’re someone my age, then you know that boredom is your number one enemy.

All of the sudden, I hear the door bell. “Ding dong!” All of my friends are here! I darted out of my room and ran with as much force as my legs would give. While panting as if I had just ran a marathon, I opened the door. Jacob, Garrett, Casey, and Kyle all stood before me. To break the silence, I asked with excitement streaming from my voice, “Whose ready to get your game on?!!” At that exact second, everyone dashed upstairs as if they were running from the cops. Casey and Kyle were the lucky ones to say, “I got first game.” I grinned sheepishly. It was always respectful to let the host have the first game, but I didn’t care much about it. I mean, yes, it would be nice, but I know my day would be complete boredom without these guys. An instant after that, I yelled, “I call winner!” At least now I could at least play in the second game. Our game of choice was NCAA Football 2010. I always picked Ohio State. I steamrolled over all of my opponents with this team. They have this really fast quarterback named Terrelle Pryor. He is amazing. As Kyle and Casey start to get into the game, they begin to bicker back and forth. I swear. You could even hear them from all the way downstairs sometimes.

I begin to open the door after rummaging through the fridge for something to eat. I hear Kyle and Casey fussing as if they were a married couple. I swear. They have issues. Casey was losing by 4 points with 7 seconds left remaining in the 4th quarter. The room was silent at that point. Everyone’s eyes were set on the TV. The last play was coming up. It was more suspenseful than a Stephen King movie. The snap starts. Casey’s quarterback drops back. He then leaves the pocket and chucks the ball up for one last prayer of a throw. One of Kyle’s players tips the ball, and Casey’s player dives for it and catches the ball in the end zone for a touchdown. The whole room erupted with mixed emotions. Kyle then blurted out, “You noob piece of crap! You know I should have beat you, you cheater!” Kyle was so mad that he even flipped off the TV and started punching the couch.

It took a little while for everything to settle down. When it finally did, I decided I didn’t want to play video games anymore. Pool, for some reason, sounded like a better choice. I wanted to pick a rather unskilled opponent so I could beat the living crap out of them. I decided to pick Jacob. He just looks like the kind of person that sucks at pool. I had an awesome pool collection, which consisted of 8 genuine pool sticks and a 750 lb pool table with hand carved legs. Well, the game started off well. Jacob messed up on the break. That’s when I blurted out, “What a loser! You scratched on break!”

The worst thing in the world happened after that. I didn’t see who did it, but someone spilled Mountain Dew on my hard wood floor. Luckily, it only left a small stain on the floor. It was still enough to make me freak out though. I always lose my cool when stuff like that happens. I have no idea why. I then decided to crush the can and kick it underneath the couch. Doing something irrational is actually quite amusing from time to time. Needless to say, I got a chuckle from practically everyone in the room.

As I continue playing pool, I gaze across the room and see Alex and Garret Bane playing ping pong. I don’t know why but the ping pong game seemed to captivate me more than the pool game I was playing. I wish I could do 3 things at once. Imagine playing pool, ping pong, and video games all at the same time. That would be wicked awesome! I then decided to call it quits and take a gander at the two numbskulls playing ping pong. Out of all the possessions I had, I treasured my ping pong set the most. I had my ping pong table specially ordered from China. It was covered with Chinese symbols, and I had no idea what they meant. They look cool though, and that’s all that counts in my book. The best is the symbols on the ping pong paddles. They look kind of like a “T” with lines all around it. Garrett seemed to be whipping up on Alex pretty good. Alex didn’t seem to be bothered by it much. The past part of the nigh happened right after the ping pong match. Jacob clumsily tripped over the cord to the TV and busted his face on the cold hard floor. The whole room filled with laughter. I wish I would’ve caught this on tape. I think Alex got the biggest kick out of this. He loves seeing Jacob do something stupid so he can make fun of him.

Nights seem to go by so fast at my house. I wish nights like these could last forever. The game room is like my get away from the stresses of the world. The room is like my little piece of heaven. It is great just to relax and chill from time to time, and for me this place is the best place for it. As great all the material possessions in my room are, my friends make it much better. After every night like this, I can’t wait for the next evening to roll around where we are all together and having the most fun time that you can imagine.

I was inspired by my friends. I would be completely bored without them.