The Longest Ride | Teen Ink

The Longest Ride

December 16, 2009
By Anonymous

The cast was off and every time I moved or walked I still felt sore and stiff. From the day I got hurt the only thing I remember is waking up in the medical tent; paramedics racing around me like mad men. Then the next time I came to; I was in the hospital with casts all over my body. My name is Jack Daniels; my friends and family call me JD.
My family and I were in the hospital room and the doctor came in and told us that I needed to quit the bull riding and start worrying about recovering. But there was a rodeo in three weeks that has some good prize money. The doctor left and I talked with my wife about the rodeo that would pay off the farm and how we needed the money. She told me that I was crazy and need to recover and that we would worry about money later on after I felt better.
I talked to myself about how I would not be able to keep up on the farm and do what I needed to do to make the bills. I thought to myself about having my brother take care of the farm while I was injured. I would do what I could to help him out, but I can’t do much like this.


I have not talked or seen my brother for six years. I gave him a call hoping that he would answer. The phone rung and rung no answer. Not even five minutes after I hung up he calls me back. “What could you possibly want after six years?”
“Well brother I’m afraid that I have some bad news.”
I was riding a bull by the name Twister, and I got hung up real bad. Once I had broken free, he trampled me into the dirt. The rodeo clowns distracted the bull long enough to have the paramedics come get me. I continue from there telling him what happened. “Well, brother, I’m sorry to hear that. Is there anything I can do for you?” I need you to come help me on the farm.
I can only do so much around here. Jenny is a good cook so we don’t have worry about eating. But I need your help taking care of the animals. “I sure can do that for you. I’ll be over in four hours.”
“Sounds good, Charlie, we can’t wait to see you.”









Charlie arrived with all of his bags and pretty much all of his things. I ask him inside and we talked for a while at the table and get caught up with what we each missed in each others lives. My wife brought us some coffee and we talked for hours on what we needed to do to take care of the farm. By this time it was nearly 2:00 A.M. and we went to bed.
The next morning we got up, and I hobbled to the table for breakfast. We ate well. We went out to the barn and I showed him the rounds that I went through every morning-feed the cows and horses, fill up the water tank, clean the horse stalls and some other cleaning.
When he was cleaning the horse stalls, he wouldn’t get all the manure out so I kept grabbing the pitch fork and doing it myself. It would hurt me so bad that I nearly passed out. Anyone could tell that he was getting mad at me for taking over like he was a kid. I can’t help it I like to do things my way, and he did it his way. “Dang it, Charlie, you scoop it like this, down to the floor not just the top” I yelled,
“Well fine you do it since I can’t do it right” screamed Charlie. This went on for about ten minutes, then Charlie threw the pitch fork on the ground and walked away madder than a dang dog.
He went so fast that I couldn’t keep up with him and I looked all around. I finally found him in the house packing his things and mumbling something. I walked into the room he was staying in and said, “Hey what are you doing?”
“I’m packing my things I’m leaving. I just know that this isn’t going to work out with you being this controlling!” exclaimed Charlie.
I tried to stop him but he just pushed me out of the way and fled to his truck. I heard the diesel fire up from the living room and by the time I go to the front door all I see is black smoke everywhere and burn out marks in my gravel drive way.
My wife got home. I told her what happened and she said “Jack you need to let him do it his way until you get better and you can do it your way again” I took what she said in to consideration and I called Charlie back. We talked it over and he said he was sorry for how he reacted. I told him that it was fine and I wish that’d he would come back and help me with what needs to be done. Later on that night he showed up and we hugged each other and talked it over person to person.
We had the usual breakfast in the morning and then we resigned to the living room where we watched some Outdoor Life Network for about half hour. Finally, we went to work.


I had him start with the usual chores in the barn, and then we went to the pasture to look at the herd. They should be calving this month and sometimes they need help to get the calve out of the birth canal. Soon as we pull up to the gate there is a cow giving birth, and she looks to be having trouble with her calf.
Charlie goes in first and looks to see what she is having trouble with. “Well it looks to, me that she just needs a little pull to get her on her way,” said Charlie.
“Ok, well, I can’t do much I’m still a pretty stiff. Just grab the two front legs and give her a pull, and she should do the rest” I explained.
Charlie pulls and pulls on this calf but she just wouldn’t budge, so I start to pull with him and finally she breaks loose. Then we keep driving through the pasture and don’t see any other cattle that need help. We head back to the house for lunch and to relax.

“How’s your steak, Charlie?” I asked,
“Oh I guess its pretty good, could be a little rarer”.
“I have been meaning to ask you do you think that it would be a good idea for me to go back to bull riding.”
“No” said Charlie staring at me with the look of disapproval. “Why not I could pay off the farm with the money from next weekend.” “That would be stupid you could be killing you health in the long run” said Charlie.
“Oh I guess you’re right,” I said happily.