Out of Tune | Teen Ink

Out of Tune

December 4, 2009
By Roxas BRONZE, St-Joseph-Du-Lac, Other
Roxas BRONZE, St-Joseph-Du-Lac, Other
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

The rain poured heavily downward from the dark clouds claiming their space in the sky, causing large ripples in the water.

She knew she’d get sick eventually, but she didn’t care.
She knew her guitar would warp, but she didn’t care.

Her legs were crossed under her, and her guitar sat carelessly on her lap, tears disguised in the rain.

His voice was filled with the utmost concern, as he looked deep into her pale blue eyes.

****“What’s wrong..? Be honest with me.”

She stifled a laugh

“Why should I be honest with you..?”

So many lies..

He reached out for her hand, but she pulled away before he could grab her. He ignored it.

“Because, I’m honest with you.”

This had ticked her off, to the point of no return.

Honesty?
What did that even mean anymore?

“WELL, IF YOU WERE HONEST WITH ME, SHOULDN’T I HAVE KNOWN YOU HAD A GIRLFRIEND!?!”****

He’d led her on, made her feel like they could have been something.

Ah, how she’d wanted it…his dark hair…his blue eyes…his sweet laugh.
The recent thought made her cringe.

She didn’t want to think about it, but she couldn’t just erase him from her mind.

She ran her fingers through her wet hair, and picked up her guitar, letting the back rest against her stomach.
She looked down at it critically, dragging her fingers across the strings.

Out of tune.

Everything had been out of tune since their last fight.

She couldn’t sleep right, hardly found an appetite enough to eat. Nothing.

But she had to stay strong. She wouldn’t allow herself to be walked all over. She wouldn’t allow herself to break.
No.
Not again.
She had to stay strong…

Just friends…I like it that way, he spoke to her not too long ago.

But how strong could she stay….for how long…?


The author's comments:
This was written for my best friend. I hadn't written in months, and she gave me the idea.