The Letter | Teen Ink

The Letter

December 13, 2009
By Rahel Hollenstein BRONZE, Belem, Other
Rahel Hollenstein BRONZE, Belem, Other
1 article 0 photos 1 comment

“Why? Why don’t you want me to go? You know that I like to do it, and it will be the only opportunity I will ever get to be in the Collinsville team. Why Dad? “
“I don’t like it when you go to a game. The only reason I let you go was because your mom insisted, because she wanted you to go. I never wanted you to. You know that I hate it, Maya.”
“But Dad…”
“Go to bed right now, I don’t want to talk about it anymore. We have talked about it enough, and my answer is no.”
“But…” “Go now.”

I went upstairs, I could hear my brother Simon playing with his computer, and the water dripping in the bathroom. I was confused, frustrated and angry. Why doesn’t my dad let me play at the big game? I like to play basketball, and next week I had the opportunity to play in my favorite team. I still cant believe he said no.

Earlier today morning, after I got home from school, I saw a letter on the kitchen table for me. I usually don’t get letters, so I was really surprised. It was from the coach of the Collinsville He invited me to play on his team. First I couldn’t believe it. The first training would be tomorrow. As soon as my dad was home, I told him, and he just stared at me for a while, and then said no. He left the room and I didn’t see him till dinner. I thought he was joking at first, but when we talked about it again after dinner, I knew he wasn’t joking. My mom wasn’t home that week, so she wasn’t there to help me.

When I arrived in my room, I threw myself on my bed, and read the letter again. The only problem was that my parents had to sign the paper so I could play. I was lying there for hours, then I suddenly had an idea. My friend Tanjalina. I could go to her house, and stay there till my mom gets back, and convince my dad to let me play. I called Tanjalina to ask her if I could come over. She said that that was no problem. There was only one problem now, the signature of my dad. I went over to Simon’s room. He was still doing something on his computer. I told him my whole problem and my plan. He was really good in copying signatures, so he did it for me, and told me he will take care that my dad doesn’t know where I was. Everybody says that brothers are annoying, but mine wasn’t. We always helped each other out.

I gathered my stuff together, and put everything in a suitcase. I left the house after my dad went to bed, very quietly. The night was clear and cold. The stars were shining bright and it was full moon. While I was walking down the abandoned streets, I could hear a dog chasing a cat. When I finally arrived at Tanjalina’s house she invited me in , and we went directly to her room. There I had to tell her the whole story again. At midnight, we went to bed too. I went to school like every morning, it could have been a normal day, if I hadn’t been so nervous the whole time. Tanjalina’s mom drove us to the place, where would meet the Collinsville team for the first time. It made me even more nervous just thinking of it.
Our last class for the day was geometry. I usually like geometry, but today class went on forever. Finally the bell rang, and I almost ran out of the classroom.

It took me less then five minutes to get ready. I was waiting impatiently for Tanjalina and her mom by the car. I was so nervous that I felt like I was going to explode.
As we were sitting in the car, Tanjalinas mother asked: “Are you nervous Maya?” “Yes I am,” I answered. “Does your mom know that you are going to play in the Collinsville team?” “No, she is still on her trip. There was no way to tell her yet.” “ I am sure she will be happy.”

When we arrived at the gym, I saw the other players hanging around. As I went out the car, my legs were shaking, and I couldn’t say a word. All of them were taller than me. They welcomed me and then we all went inside to start warm up. I had to go to the coaches office first, and give him the paper. When I entered the office, he smiled at me, and welcomed me, then he talked to me about basketball, how long I have played, and stuff like that. After a while he sent me to do some warm ups, before we started. When I left the office, I didn’t feel so nervous anymore. He seemed to be a nice guy, and a good coach. Tanjalina and her mother were sitting at the bench, watching us. When we finished our warm up, the coach came in and introduced me to the others. He said, “This is our new player. Her name is Maya she comes from a different city than you guys do. I hope you get to be friends soon. So, enough talking. Lets start practise now. Everybody line up at the…” Everything in my body started to shaking again. Some of the players gave me a friendly smile, and others ignored me. During practice I didn’t have time to think about my dad, because I had to concentrate on what I was doing.


When practice was over, the coach wanted to talk to me. My heart started to beat faster as I walked towards him. He said that I play well, and that I could play at the next game. I was happy like never before. I had to control myself to not do something weird.


I spent the whole week at Tanjalina’s house. Every night I called Simon, to see if everything was ok. At the last night before the game I called Simon again. He told me that we have a problem. Our mom is going to come back tomorrow morning, and the game is in the afternoon. We decided that he would tell my parents where I was while I was at the game, so that my dad can’t get me back before the game was over. I didn’t sleep very well that night. I was nervous, and scared. Nervous, because of the game, and scared that my dad would find out before the game was over.

As finally Thursday afternoon arrived, and I was sitting on the bench, I was thinking of the last week. So much has happened. It seems so long ago, since I received the letter that has changed my life. The letter made me turn against my dad, and it made Simon lie to my dad for me. Our coach was going over the plays we should do. His voice calmed me a little, but I was still nervous.

When it was finally time to go out, and start the game, I heard footsteps behind me. I looked back, and there I saw, what I hoped I wouldn’t have to see. My dad. We stared at each other for a while. Then he said in a husky voice: “Why did you do it? Why?” All the players had already left, so it was only me and my dad. “I love basketball, and you know it. This was my opportunity. Why do you not want me to play? Why? You have never told me.”
My dad took a deep breath and set down on the bench beside me. Then he said: “ I should have told you before, but it is to hard for me to tell it, but I will try. When you were a little girl, my brother and I used to play on a basketball team. We were really good, but one day my brother died playing a basketball game. He couldn’t breathe anymore, and died. That day I promised myself, that I would never play again, and that nobody from my family will play.”

He looked at me with a sad face, and tears in his eyes. “Do you understand now?” I was silent for a moment, and know I understood why my dad was the this way. In that moment I felt so sorry for him that I gave him a hug and said: “ I understand you now. I am so sorry for what I did. Will you forgive me?”
“Yes, Maya.”