How Heaven Came to Be. | Teen Ink

How Heaven Came to Be.

By Envoy_of_the_Spirit SILVER, Ponce De Leon, Florida
Envoy_of_the_Spirit SILVER, Ponce De Leon, Florida

In the midst of a great storm, the ocean cast a ship onto an unknown island. Most of the passengers perished, but the remaining few gathered on the beach.
After scavenging the entire island for sustenance, they reassembled. There was enough sustenance for every person but one. The people became quiet in thought.
One person looked about with an open heart. He saw an old person, a poor person, a strong person, a weak person, a beautiful person, an ugly person, a foolish person, and a dog.
Then he arose and said that he would not share in the sustenance which would not sustain all. The people were silent. Then he climbed to the peak of the island and meditated, awaiting his demise.
Soon after, the people climbed to the peak of the island and told him that they would not share in the sustenance which would not sustain him. At this, he smiled and asked them to gather around him and meditate.
As each of them perished, their souls became one with his, and their will to live became his will. When at last he perished, the collective soul of the people sank into the earth and became a great tree who produced bountiful fruit. No one would starve on the island again.

Heaven is the attainment of peace.