Spiral Staircase

I'am not a man in a cage, my life is like a spiral staircase. The first steps begin at an early age; still naïve and childish, I looked out to a prosperous world full of options. The sky was full of dreams of being a professional athlete, growing old in a huge mansion, and marrying the world’s most beautiful wholesome woman floated pleasantly in the air. Mature steps take me stories from the first step. My outlook on the world changes like the smooth curves of a spiral staircase. I change opinions, dreams, and everything in between. I condemn past outlooks, where I stand you can see for miles; you see past the fenced in backyard my parents let you run wild in. As I venture far up the steps and around the bends, I look out at a much different world. Unlike the cloudy view of the bottom, things were much more clear. The harsh truth of life blows past me like tumbleweeds in the desert; the odor of lies, deception, and greed radiate the air now that reality is here. The practice pit full of foam your parents created is sealed shut, no fall will go without a scratch from here on out. As I climb the steps they become smaller, rigid, and less stable. Far ahead the stairs spiral into a mysterious cloud.

Kay4theRoses said...
it was good and i liked how the theme of it was an emotion and not a scene. you were descriptive but the emotions of the story stuck out more than a specific picture.

Pensivegurl said...
Dec. 24, 2009 at 10:11 am
Whoo! Nice! >.<

DEMON said...
How realistic "Spiral Staircase" is! New York young man, you captured the essence of impulsive dreams that each individual harbors. I liked the metaphoric implications, and I thought it was quite good. What do you think of...
"RAZED EXPECTATIONS"
Wisps of smoke danced into the wintry air from my lips, creating ornate designs that could never be replicated. I carefully tilted the corners of my lips into a smile that I meant to be wry. Of course, it's difficu... (more »)

DEMON said...
"RAZED EXPECTATIONS" continues...
Her lovely green eyes shifted into hard emeralds.
“What do you know about me, Dare? And what’s so wrong with having dreams? And why are you talking to me like that? I was simply commenting on the sunset.” She tossed her red curls, clearly miffed.
I lifted my chin, and blew smoke in her face. It was easier on me when she was angry. I don’t know why she bothered with me. Why she was brave enough to confront ... (more »)