Secerts, Lies and Other Mayhem | Teen Ink

Secerts, Lies and Other Mayhem

November 23, 2009
By Alex Fellows BRONZE, Brattleboro, Vermont
Alex Fellows BRONZE, Brattleboro, Vermont
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

I walk down the crowded hallways. All I can see are rows of top and bottom lockers. They seem as if they are opposites, either filled to the brim, almost jammed, or completely empty. The lockers are just like the people that use them, either filled with information that they don’t want everyone to know about, or they are empty, because everyone knows their every move. These halls are filled with all different people, some social, others anti-social.

Me, I am more of the social kind of person, but this experience proved that even the most sociable people can become full of despair and depression. These are the people that you think would be the most confident, because they have the most at-home stability, but no. These people are so used to everything going right, that when something goes wrong they have no idea how to handle it.

My name is Cat; short for Catherine. I’m the kind of girl that that doesn’t care what people think. Confident you would say. I wear skinny jeans, oversize sweatshirts, beanies, and an amazing pair of Converse. Sometimes my hair doesn’t always fall in the right place, but I don’t care I just go with the flow. I’m at that age where friends are incredibly important. Also, I’m pumped to be getting my permit soon. At this time in my life adults are a bother to me. Sometimes, I just want to be alone and let the world do what it wants to. I’m a scrawny girl with blue eyes from my daddy and beautiful wavy brown hair with natural blonde highlights. I love to sing and write my own music, also I never walk in a straight line. I can’t get enough of sports, so I run four miles every day and play soccer, hockey, and lacrosse.

Today is one of the hardest days in my life. I have lots of really good guy friends and I always have. I’m used to playing on all guys’ teams, so I understand them. Girls, on the other hand, are a different story. I have a harder time getting along with girls, because they are always obsessed with themselves and how they look, and worst of all, they gossip.

Everyone knows me as the jock, that one who you expect will make varsity team in all the sports I play, but the point is I work hard to earn my spot on the varsity team. Even thought I’m the only girl on my hockey team, I’m sure I work as hard, or harder than all the boys. I don’t run all the time for fun; I do it because I want to work hard.


I usually intimidate girls, but I’m not mean; I’m just competitive. Today at school the cheerleaders decided to make up a story about me, a rumor. At this time I’m in a relationship with Nick Slicer. We’ve been best friends since third grade, and I’ve liked him since fifth. I walk down the hallway and I see the cheerleaders coming. I’m not like other girls that try to avoid them; I just causally walk down the hallway dragging my feet like always. As I walk by, they giggle, and I think to myself “Do I have my period…. no that was last week…I’m okay…. then what could it possibly be?” I don’t usually worry about stuff like this, but I could tell that they were laughing at me. Oh well, whatever I’ll get over it.

At lunch I found out what it was they were laughing about…
The cheerleaders decided to make up a rumor about me. People were saying that I was cheating on Nick, but I wasn’t, so the first thing I did was go to Nick.

“Hey,” I said.

“Hi, how are you?” he said as he occasionally does. I decided not to freak out and just started talking.

“Well someone just told me that someone told them that I was cheating on you and I just want you to know that I’m not and that I would never do that to you.” I could just start to see that a smile was forming on his face.

“Oh, well that’s great news. I didn’t want to believe it, because I knew you would never do that,” he said.

“Well I’ve got to get to class so I’ll talk to you later.”

“Yeah, I’ll see you later.” I knew I would have to go straight to the problem like a hockey game; if someone’s in your way you get them out to win the game. In this game of life I need to get the problem out of my way. I went straight to the cheerleaders.

“Hey, Trinity,” I said as if I was serious.

“Yeah,” she remarked sarcastically.

“Um, I wanted to talk to you about a rumor that you spread about me because I thought it was…” Before I even finished my sentence, she interrupted me by saying.

“It wasn’t me.”

“I know it was because this morning you were all laughing” I waited a while for her to have another snotty reply, but no that’s not what I got.

“Well I guess you caught me. Oh well, go report me see how much I care.”

“Trinity, I’m not going to say anything I just want to know why you started it.” So, Trinity sat me down and we started talking. She began by telling me about that time in third grade when there was no such thing as popular so Trinity and I were friends. She spoke about how she used to love hanging with me, and how we could tell each other everything. She reminded me about how the first day of seventh grade she ditched me to go hang out with cheerleaders she met at cheer camp.
Than she walked away, later that day I overheard Trinity talking to her mom on her phone in the bathroom. I found it weird that Trinity had her phone on speaker, because than I could her everything that Trinity and her mom were talking about. But, the volume must have been very low, because I had to almost be in the bathroom to heat what her mom was saying.
“Hello honey what’s the problem?”
“Um, well remember how I was upset about dad leaving us; well I decide to make a rumor about Cat,”
Trinity’s mom had a muffled sound to her voice, “Oh I remember her, and didn’t you used to be friends with her”
“Yeah I did but I messed up our friendship in seventh grade, but mom the truth is I’m jealous of her, because she has everything. She has both a loving and supporting mom and dad,”
“Well honey I think that you should make an attempt to be friends with her.”
All the sudden I tripped over my foot and fell into the bathroom. I tried to sneak away without Trinity seeing it was me. But, that plan failed! Than finally she said, “The reason I made up that rumor was because I was jealous of you and I still am. You don’t have to worry about living up to your mom’s expectations, you don’t have to worry about getting kicked off the cheer squad, because you want to do book club instead. You don’t have to worry about being popular you just go with the flow and be yourself, not what people want you to be and worst of all you don’t have to worry about your dad leaving your mom and you for another younger woman.”

“Wow!” I said. I told her also that I had to be worried sometimes, too, like whether I make varsity, but I don’t let things get to me. I just let the cards fall as they may.

I guess talking to Trinity made me realize that not all popular people are evil. They just have too much on one plate, and they don’t always have those people to talk to in hard times. Also, I realized that popular people don’t want other popular people to know that they are weak and their self confidence is down, so they pick on other people to make themselves feel better. Sometimes the people whose parents are the richest and families are together have the hardest time admitting that they don’t have it all and they don’t want anyone to know so they try to cover it up.

After that Trinity made me promise not to tell anyone that we talked, so I promised. For about a month now Trinity and me have been texting each other and have been talking online, secretly, so that none of my friends find out that I’m talking to a “girly girl” and her friends don’t find out that she is talking to a jock. Pretty much everything is staying the same; except for secretly we are in each others lives. So, I guess things are getting better between the two of us. Also, I am starting to understand more girls now that I know why they gossip and tell lies, but that doesn’t give them a right to do it.