The Nerd | Teen Ink

The Nerd

By Dillon181790 BRONZE, Beaverton, Oregon
Dillon181790 BRONZE, Beaverton, Oregon

My fingers start to cramp up from the hours of writing I have just done. Finally my essay was finished and ready to be submitted for review. As I click the mouse sending my application to Harvard University the fear of rejection runs through my mind. I had worked so hard just to be able to attend a school as prestigious as Harvard. It has been my dream ever since I was a little kid. It was late so I decided to get some sleep for school the next day.

I woke up and grabbed my clothes that I had picked out from the night before. Then I headed for the shower where my towel was laid perfectly folded and sitting on the counter. My toothbrush, deodorant, and cologne were all lined up next to the sink just the way I like them. I finished getting ready and headed down stairs to get some food before school. As soon as I finished eating, I hurried to the bus stop. As I was running to catch the bus I tripped and fell straight into a puddle that was mixed with mud and who knows what else. It was to late to go back and change because then I would be late to school and my parents would kill me. So I proceeded to the bus stop and was off to school.

When I finally got there it was as if I had arrived at hell. All of the jocks were waiting for me at the front door of the school. I felt as if I was walking into a cage fight with four guys that out weighed me by a good 100 pounds! The next thing I knew I was flying down a hill like a snowball in the snow. They had all stuffed me into a trash can and had rolled me down the hill. It smelled like I had crawled into the bottom part of an outhouse. All I could hear was my head smacking against the side of the trash can. Once I had cleaned myself off I headed to class. I loved math because it was so easy for me to do. When I was in this class I actually felt like I belonged and wasn’t an outsider.

Now I had lunch and I hate lunch. I mean can the food get any worse. Then the worst part is that everyday I eat all by myself and never have anyone to sit with. So I ended up eating all alone and I want nothing more then to just have someone come and sit with me for some company. I just can’t wait to be out of high school and to be at Harvard. After lunch I got done with lunch I headed off to lit and comp. I really dread going to this class because it is filled with jocks who treat me as if I am from a different planet. So I walk into class and from the moment I walk through the door till I walk out, all of the jocks did nothing but give me crap. The rest of the school day was just a daze.

The fun part is going home because all my parents do is drill me about grades. Then once that is over I get to deal with my brother Derek and him doing anything he can to make my life complete hell. He graduated last year and to know ones surprise he is still living at home. My brother hasn’t ever been the smartest kid, but my dad let him get away with everything because he was the football teams MVP quarterback. Derek had offers to all of these great schools but he ended up blowing out his knee in the last game of the season. That’s enough about Derek though, back to the story.

So if things weren’t already bad enough, I had applied for Harvard earlier this year and finally got a letter back. As I began to read it tears started to slide down my cheeks as rain would slide down a window. I had been denied. I just wanted to go shut myself off from the entire world. This was the breaking point that crushed me and that is why that was the worst day of my life.

Word Count: 734

on Dec. 29 2009 at 1:14 am
SerenityMine BRONZE, Not Saying, California
This was a sad story, but it was written well.