Bella

We live, we breathe, and we die. That’s how I view my life. I suppose we all do have one purpose in life. I haven’t figured out mine yet. I am 18, and I live with my mom in Summit, Colorado. Don’t ask where my father is, I don’t know myself. I get good grades; I work as a full time nanny on the weekends for the kids down the street. During the week, I waitress at The Lodge. Money is always a huge problem.
I have applied to Colorado State, which starts in the fall. I am anxiously waiting to see if I got in. It’s finally Friday night, I have just got done waitressing, and I am pulling into the driveway of the Bendals. Every Friday, I go spend the night at the Bendals while Tracy and Ben’s parents go away to work for the weekend. Like clockwork, I get to their house and the kids are already in bed. The children’s parents, Lucy and John, are frantically running around the house looking for their entire luggage.
“Hi Bella, go ahead and put your things in our room and we’ll be gone in just a minute,” said Lucy.
I put all my things in their usual spot and I head out to the kitchen to get the directions for this weekend from Lucy and John. They’re standing around the counter writing a list of all they want the children to do this weekend. It’s pretty much the same thing whether it’s clean the house, or pick up the outside toys. I get to the counter and their dog, little brown and white Brittney Spaniel, Patches, comes running to greet me.

“Okay Bella, this weekend I want Tracy to clean her room, it’s an absolute mess. I also want you to teach Ben how to clean his room. He’s old enough now. Also, Tracy is not allowed to go on the computer; she and Ben have been fighting. They need to learn to share too. If they start fighting about sharing I want you to take the toy away and tell them that if they don’t share, neither of them will be getting the toy. Well, that’s about it. Any questions?” said Lucy.

“Nope, I will call you if I have any though. Have a good weekend.”

“Do we ever?” replied John with a slight chuckle. “The president wants us to completely redo the files we worked on month.”

“Goodbye Bella, if you have any questions just call,” said Lucy.
I watched them drive away and went and sat on the couch to watch TV. Like always Patches came running to the couch, jumps up, and snuggles right next to me. I am watching TV, and all of a sudden Patches jumps off the couch and runs to the door and starts barking hysterically. I assumed he has to go out, so I jumped off the couch and ran to do the door. I really don’t need him waking up the kids. I put him on the leash and open the door. As I am doing this, I notice a black car sitting across the street. It’s too dark to see, but I am pretty sure there is a man sitting in the driver’s seat. I pull Patches back in really fast, pretty sure that he did not have to go to the bathroom. I lock the door and I turn on all the outside lights and the upstairs lights.
I quickly go check on the kids in their rooms. Tracy, sound asleep in her soft pink room, with flowers on the walls. Ben sucking his thumb, in his Spiderman bed. They look so peaceful I said to myself. I quickly go look out the kitchen window and the car is still there. This has never happened before and I am not quite too sure what I should do.
All of a sudden the phone rings. I stand there in fear. Should I answer it or, leave it be. It keeps ringing. I walk slowly over to the phone I pick it up and in a whisper I say, “Hello?”
“Hey, Bella its Lucy, I just wanted to let you know that there is a man sitting outside of the house in a black car. His name is Dan. He’s our house bodyguard. I should have told you before we left, but we were in such a hurry. He might come to the door later and introduce himself. I’m sorry. It’s just that the president has us doing some really confidential things and its better safe than sorry.”
“Thanks for telling me. Patches started barking hysterically and I locked all the doors and turned on all the lights.”
“I am really sorry Bella.”
“Its fine now, good luck at work. See you on Sunday.”
I hung up the phone and walked to the kitchen and took one last look and peak through the curtain and out the window and a little shiver went up my spine. The car was still sitting there. This time I could see Dan sitting in the driver’s seat. I close the curtain and head to the bedroom and change into my pajamas and call for Patches to come. Once he’s entered, I shut the door half way, shut off the light and, crawl into bed for the night.
Oh boy, Saturday morning and the alarm clock has just gone off. This means its 6:30. Patches jumps off the bed and heads to the front door. I grab his leash and I open the door and the black car is still there. I see Dan look over at me and I give him a quick wave. Patches comes trotting back into the house. The kids are still sleeping, so I decide to start making breakfast.
Coffee and toast for me, eggs and bacon for the kids. Its 6:55, the kids should be waking up pretty soon. I’m setting the table and all of a sudden I hear someone screaming at the top of their lungs, “NOOOO!” It was Tracy.
I ran downstairs as fast as I could to Tracy’s room. I slammed open her door, out of breath I yell, “What’s wrong?”
“Ben was tickling me to get up!” whined Tracy.
I see Ben, crouched down in the corner laughing. Then suddenly, I hear the front door slam open and somebody running down the stairs. I grab Tracy off the bed and run to the corner where Ben is.
Suddenly, there is a tall, slick black hair, dark green eyes, early 20’s, very muscular man standing in the doorway with a gun in his hand.
“What is going on in here? I heard screaming all the way across the street,” he said.
“Ben was tickling me to wake up,” replied Tracy.

He puts his gun down, and back into his belt. He slowly walks towards me looking at me intently.

“Are you the nanny that comes every weekend?” he asked.

“Yeah, I’m Bella.”

“I’m Dan. I am the house bodyguard their parents requested for. Sorry to scare you like that, I was just doing my job, but it looks like everything is fine in here. If it’s okay with you, I would like to work from in the house from now on?”

“Um sure, that’s okay I guess. I’ll try not to have the kids bug you too much.”

“Oh, I’m sure they won’t be too much of a bother, right Ben?” he said looking at Ben.

“Yes sir,” he whispered.

“Good boy. So, Bella is it? Well I think you and me need to go over a couple of ground rules for this weekend. First, if you plan on leaving the house you must tell me. Second, I will be answering the door and phone from now on. Last, I will be sleeping on the couch. Please keep the dog with you at night. Any questions?”

“Nope sounds good.” I answered.

“Good, I’ll just go grab my things out of my car and you can carry on getting the kids ready.”
I watched as he walked out of the room, a little in shock of what just happened.
“Okay, enough excitement for one morning. Tracy, make your bed and get dressed. Ben, go make your bed and get dressed too. Then when you both are done come upstairs I have breakfast ready.”
I walked up the stairs to the kitchen and, through the window; I could see Dan at his car getting his things out of the trunk. I started thinking about, where does he normally live, does he have family, what’s it like to be a house bodyguard? I started thinking to myself that I have all day today and tomorrow to find out… and I will find out.

Cam12 said...
Abbie!!! HI bestie! This was so touching! your way better then me! This was so awesome! =)!!! I can't believe you haven't shown me this at school! I'm gonna ask you about it so beware! I love it!

Cam12 replied...
Jan. 22, 2010 at 2:03 pm :
So sorry! wrong abbie!

musiclover94 said...
I liked this story but advise you to watch your tense. You jump a little from present to past and back again. I do it all the time and its frustrating to go through and fix it all but it makes it so much easier to read. Other than that, it's a terrific plot and I can't wait to read more!

DEMON said...
The dialogue flowed smoothly in "Bella", and I found that it was modern, and held nothing of rarity. However, I did like the introducing line, "We live, we breathe, and we die." Interesting, and yet common. Judge..
"RAZED EXPECTATIONS"
Wisps of smoke danced into the wintry air from my lips, creating ornate designs that could never be replicated. I carefully tilted the corners of my lips into a smile that I meant to be wry. Of course, it's difficul... (more »)

DEMON said...
"RAZED EXPECTATIONS" continues...
Her lovely green eyes shifted into hard emeralds.
“What do you know about me, Dare? And what’s so wrong with having dreams? And why are you talking to me like that? I was simply commenting on the sunset.” She tossed her red curls, clearly miffed.
I lifted my chin, and blew smoke in her face. It was easier on me when she was angry. I don’t know why she bothered with me. Why she was brave enough to confront ... (more »)

montana said...
Dec. 21, 2009 at 10:43 am:
Ooooo I love the suspense in this story please add on to it. btw can you read my review and rate it. I would appreciate it. I really want to get it published. That is what I want for Christmas.

Abby K. replied...
Dec. 21, 2009 at 3:56 pm :
Hey! I looked at your review and I really liked it. Good job! Hope you get your christmas wish :) Merry Christmas!

montana replied...
Dec. 21, 2009 at 4:09 pm :
Thanks. You made me smile and made my day. :D

montana replied...
Dec. 21, 2009 at 4:10 pm :
Oh yeah and I wish you a very Merry Christmas

Abby K. replied...
Dec. 21, 2009 at 4:14 pm :
Thanks. :)

mmfdg623 said...
This story was really good. I'd really like to read more. It's very interesting. By the way, I'd appreciate it if you'd read my story called Chasing Butterflies.

Abby K. replied...
Dec. 20, 2009 at 3:19 pm :
Hey! I read your Chasing Butterflies story, and I really liked it! I hope you got an A! Good Job!

Hulud said...
I'd be interested tin reading on.

Bookedd:-) said...
Wow! you're such a good writer. that was remarkable.

Abby K. replied...
Dec. 16, 2009 at 4:13 pm :
Thanks! Should i continue the story?

Rachie_P. replied...
Dec. 17, 2009 at 6:08 am :
i love the story i think u should add more

Pensivegurl replied...
Dec. 18, 2009 at 7:49 pm :
Ditto! >.<