The Sign of Hope | Teen Ink

The Sign of Hope

October 22, 2009
By jesuslovesme93 BRONZE, Rolling Meadows, Illinois
jesuslovesme93 BRONZE, Rolling Meadows, Illinois
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

As the moonlight shimmers on the surface of the ocean’s waves, a lone woman stands in the distance, her hair in front of her face as she kneels to the ground to drop something that is clasped within her hands. Upon closer inspection I can see that the object is a locket gleaming in the dark sky. As I looked upon her staring at her locket, she suddenly opened it gazing upon the photo for the last time. The photo contains a man and a little girl happy together, the girl gazing up at the man. As she looked at the photo she closed her eyes, the memories of her time with him flooding through her mind. With a final tear trickling down her face, she whispered “goodbye dad, I will never forget all the good times we had together.” Gazing out into the sea, she drew in a sharp intake of breath than cast the locket into the dark, foreboding waters. As she watched the locket sink into the water, I came up to her and embraced her. As we stood together watching the waves crash into the beach, I asked whether she was ready to head back home. Instead of answering, she buried her head deeper into me shoulder finally at peace with her sorrows. With that we strolled away, walking back to our house, knowing that hope was implanted into our hearts.