The Hole | Teen Ink

The Hole

November 5, 2009
By Jon Hagmann BRONZE, Springfield, Illinois
Jon Hagmann BRONZE, Springfield, Illinois
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

In my basement there is a hole. It’s not a large hole, just a small hole, the size of your hands clasped together. Where do you go nobel hole? This is its story.

One day I decided to slide down that hole. I barely fit down that endless, dark abyss. When I approached the end, I saw light and not just any light, bright yellow lights. I heard the sounds of a city. “Why that’s crazy,” I thought. “How is this possible?”

Sniff. Sniff. It smelled like the aroma of a sweaty gym sock. As I walked towards the light, it got larger and larger and brighter and brighter. I reached the end of the tunnel and I had to squeeze my eyes into little slits just to keep the lights out. That’s when I saw it-a door. Just a door, not on a wall, no, just levitating in the middle of the yellow nothing. I decided to tip toe closer to the door to inspect it. I circled it a number of times, and I still couldn’t understand why it was there. So I opened it, and there was a pebble. That’s it-just a pebble.

That was a story about nothing. The reason I wrote it is because of the moral of the story. When I let you down by saying that it was only a pebble, yet you kept reading. If you’re still confused, it means just because you don’t get something you really want like not making your try outs, doesn’t mean you should quit.

The author's comments:
I hope you enjoyed this essay about life! =)