Losing You | Teen Ink

Losing You

“Sometimes one pays most for the things one gets for nothing.” –Albert Einstein.

I read the slip of paper I had been handed in English class. I read it several times before glancing at the empty seat across the room. I knew I needed to be strong but I just couldn’t. Not yet. I stood and grabbed my bag before leaving class early. I’d get in trouble for it but right now I didn’t even want to be here. I thought back to a night about a week ago.

Friday Night

Aiden and I were getting ready to go to the theater for my birthday, since he was gone visiting his grandma last week. I had run back up to my room to get my jacket when he got to my house. I kissed mom and dad good-bye before getting in the passenger seat of Aiden’s black Porsche. Yes, he was rich, but that’s not why I like him.

We laughed and talked until we got to the movie theater. When we got out he put his arm around my shoulders. Yes, he’s my boyfriend. I smiled and wrapped my arms around him. After we bought our tickets, he bought me the best thing since sliced bread. SKITTLES! Then we headed into the movie theater.

The movie ended around nine-thirty and we came out still laughing at the comedy we’d seen. I heard the manager arguing with a customer, but kissed Aiden on the cheek.

“I’m going to go to the bathroom, k,” I said wiggling my way out of his grip.

“K, I’ll be here when you get back.” He said smiling.

“That’s right you better be,” I said over my shoulder heading toward the bathroom with the women’s sign on it.

After I finished using the bathroom, I washed my hands slowly and thought about how perfect my life was. That’s when I heard the screams. I dried my hands and was about to walk out of the bathroom when I heard a gun shot. I flew through the door and saw a man in a black hooded sweatshirt running towards the door.

That’s the guy who was arguing with the manager, I thought. Then I saw a crowd gathered around someone. Where was Aiden? I looked all around me, briefly before I ran towards the group of people. I managed to get through and saw Aiden laying on the ground bleeding to death.

“Someone call nine-one-one!” I cried so loud I thought the windows would shatter. Right now I didn’t care my boyfriend was laying helpless, bleeding to death, in a movie theater. I put my head on his chest and cried. He laid his hand on my back and managed to cough out two sentences.

“I love you,” was the first thing I heard him say.

“I love you too,” I said now sobbing helplessly. But then his next sentence made me think.

“Sometimes one pays most for the things one gets for nothing.”

I looked into his emerald eyes, and gently kissed his lips before resting my head back on his chest. I was determined to stay with him in his final minutes. I heard his heart beat, it was faint and weak. I laid there listening till I couldn’t hear it anymore.

“No, please Aiden, don’t die.” I cried. The ambulance and police were too late. Exactly two minutes and thirty-two seconds after he died.
Present

I wouldn’t have left if the slip of paper hadn’t said the exact same thing my boyfriend said before he died. I missed him a lot, and I knew the truth behind quote now. When you have something that you love, like family, friends, boyfriends or girlfriends, and when you loose them, you’re loosing a lot more then just a person.

Aiden was telling me that. The night he told me he loved me, he died. The manager from the theater told me he was trying to calm the man down. The man blew his lid and pulled the gun out of his pocket. Aiden started backing away with his hands up and the manager also told me that Aiden ran towards the women’s bathroom.

I sat in the hall balling my eyes out. He truly had loved me, enough to risk his life.

casey261 GOLD said...
casey261 GOLD, Hainesport, New Jersey

"Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened."

that was really great, i almost cried

musiclover94 GOLD, Springboro, Ohio

Life is uncertain. Eat dessert first.

W-O-W! I'm practically speechless. If I hadn't been reading this in a room full of people, I would have cried! Please keep writing!

KiraKira PLATINUM, Cardiff By The Sea, California

Do not pity the dead, Harry. Pity the living, and above all, pity those who live without love -Albus Dumbledore

Amazing. I have tears in my eyes. This is a work of art