My Bad Day in Chicago | Teen Ink

My Bad Day in Chicago

October 21, 2009
By Erik Hendley BRONZE, Lubbock, Texas
Erik Hendley BRONZE, Lubbock, Texas
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

This morning, I was woken up by some cat knocking over a trashcan near the orphanage, and I just couldn’t get back to sleep. I ended up staying awake for about an hour before having to go sell fresh bread. Normally I’m first in line to get my share of fresh bread to sell but today I just managed to be caught in the rush of things, and some moron up front didn’t know what he was doing. So being the kind young gent I am, I go help him. Oh, some people were not happy with me. One guy threw a few rocks at me, while another threw a shoe. I get to the front after surviving the shower of “love” from my fellow bread vendors and help out this guy that seems new to Chicago. I help him get a fair share of bread to sell and I tell him the rules. He catches on quick and I tell him to go find his own place to sell the bread and not to get caught in someone else’s territory as it might not end so pretty. Well after helping him, I take it upon myself to go ahead and get my share of bread. Some wise guy doesn’t take to kindly to this and tells me to give him the bread and go stand back in line where I was. I respond with a few select words along the lines of “buzz off” and walk off. I get to my corner and start selling my 100 loaves of bread. Business today seemed to be quite well but the wise guy from the line starts invading my territory. Well we start yelling at each other, cursing too. He comes over and starts throwing loaves everywhere, scaring the peoples around us. I finally put him straight and send him back on his way to fix that broken nose of his and kept his bread too, well the ones that weren’t thrown to the birds. Well I get back to the orphanage and see my brother waiting for me. He starts talking about how ma and dad have adopted him after all these years of abandoning us. I get excited; finally I can go home and have a family again. Then he breaks the news right in the middle of my excitement. They only want him, not me. I spent the rest of my night helping him pack up to go home tomorrow, wishing I could go with him, but knowing that I won’t.