My Hero | Teen Ink

My Hero

October 19, 2009
By Anonymous

A hero by definition is a person who; in the opinion of others, has heroic qualities or has performed a heroic act. Some people’s heroes are firefighters; perhaps policemen. Maybe your hero is your mom or dad, maybe it’s a teacher. Your hero could possibly be someone you’ve never even met.
For me this is not the case. My hero plays two roles in my life; my hero and my best friend.
You may be wondering what in the world could possible make this friend deserve the title of hero? Allow me to share a few of the many reasons why my best friend deserves not only to be considered my hero; but she also deserves everything this world has to offer her.
By now you’ve got to at least be wondering her name. This magnificent girl is named, Alexia.
The story behind me and Alexia’s friendship isn’t a great one. She was the one who told me my boyfriend was cheating on me. I’m so thankful it was her who told me. Even then when we were barely friends she lent me a shoulder to cry on. She loaned me her ear, so I would have someone to talk to. When she saw the tears falling from my eyes she didn’t laugh at me, instead she grabbed my hand and hugged me for what seemed like forever. From that day on, Alexia and I became inseparable.
Alexia has proved to me that, while everyone else will walk in and out of my life as they please, she will stay. She has seen me thru the good times but more importantly, the bad times. She’s been there for every break-up and fights. Every time I just need someone to lean on, Alexia is there, welcoming me with open arms.
Over the summer, I lost someone very close to my heart. It was Alexia who helped me through it. She was the one I called crying when I needed to talk. She was the one that held my hand through the funeral. Then spent the weekend with me making sure I was okay.
If I could do one thing in life for my dear friend, it would be to somehow repay her for everything she has done for me. Now that I’m friends with Alexia, I know that no matter what someone will always be there for me. Whether it’s good or bad.
Alexia may not have saved a life, or put out a fire, but she has helped me overcome many obstacles in my life. In my eyes, that is what makes someone amazing. That is what earns someone the right to be considered my hero.