Never Say Goodbye | Teen Ink

Never Say Goodbye

By MeganE BRONZE, Eatonville, Washington
MeganE BRONZE, Eatonville, Washington

“I'm going to miss you so much” he quietly whispered into her ear. She then sat up from where she was lying on his chest and looked into his eyes. She placed her hands on each side of his face and brought him to her, they lightly kissed. “I know, I'm going to miss you too.” After a few seconds of pure silence she looked away from him and lied back down. She couldn't bear to say goodbye to him, they just started to have something and she didn't want to let it go. Until Paul asked her what was wrong she didn't realize that she was crying. “I'm just thinking” she told him. “About what?” he asked. She looked at him for a second then lied “oh just about my dog we had to put down last week, I miss him a lot.” She couldn't upset him, just couldn't. She wanted his last memory of her to be happy. He looked at her and then a grin spread across his face. “You know Maggie, you aren't a very good liar” he said with a soft chuckle. “Now what's really bothering you?” Maggie didn't want to lie to him again, he could see right through her. So instead she tried to change the subject. “What am I, transparent?” Paul laughed “You could say that, now tell me.” Darn it she thought, if he didn't let it go when she tried to change the subject he was definitely not going to let it go until she told him the truth. She took a deep breath then looked away from him, “I don't want you to leave me.” She closed her eyes as a tears started to roll down her cheeks. Suddenly she felt something warm on her face, it was Paul, he was wiping her tears away as they came. She breathed deeply a couple times to regain her composure, then opened her eyes. She was now face to face with him. He was gorgeous she thought to herself, his deep brown eyes could have her mesmerized for hours and the way he could calm her down was unbelievable. It was like he had some sort of power over her, sometimes she loved it more than anything and sometimes she hated it. Sometimes she just wanted to be angry. Maggie was pulled back to reality when she heard the softness of Paul's voice, “Maggie I would never leave you, I'm always going to be here.” He put his hand on her cheek then kissed her forehead. “You mean the world to me, and I'm doing this not only to protect others, but to protect you.” Maggie couldn't help but smile. He did it again, She was calm now and ready to lie down and enjoy the rest of her time with him. “You always know what to say” she said with another smile. “I know, I have a way with people” he replied with a grin and wink. They kissed again and then cuddled up close to watch a movie.
The Next day Maggie went with Paul's parents to drop Paul off. When they reached the ship her stomach dropped, she couldn't believe that this was really happening, the day was finally here. When the car came to a stop Paul hopped out to grab his gear. His parents got out as well so they could say their own goodbyes. Maggie couldn't move, she couldn't tell herself to get out of her seat and do the one thing she dreaded since Paul came home from basic. Maybe if she didn't get out Paul wouldn't leave and they could go home together. After countless goodbyes and hugs to his parents Paul noticed that Maggie was still sitting in the car. He walked over and opened the door. “Mags why are you still in the car?” he said as he placed his hand on her arm. “Don't you want to say goodbye to me?” Maggie turned her head towards him, looked him dead in the eye and said “I don't want to say goodbye at all because I don't want you to go.” Paul sighed, “Maggie I have to, this is my job, now will you please get out of the car? I want to give you something.” Maggie sat for a couple more seconds then got out. “Thank you” Paul said in almost a whisper. She shook her head then looked at him, “so what did you want to give me?” Paul then reached into his pocket and pulled out a necklace. Maggie noticed it was the necklace he always wore. It was the one she had never seen him without, why was he giving it to her? “I want you to have this” he said with a smile. “Why though?” Maggie asked him with a confused look. “Because,” he started to say, “I told you I would always be here, and now I will be.” Maggie started to cry then wrapped her arms around him. Paul hugged her tight, so tight that she could hear his heart beat. Thump, Thump, Thump. She loved listening to his heart beat. There was something about it that was just so soothing, almost like a lullaby is for a small child. After hugging for a few seconds Maggie heard Paul's name be called. Paul then pulled away and softly said “I have to go, I'll see you soon.” After one last hug and quick kiss Paul was gone from her. As he walked away and boarded the ship the tears started to come and her heart started to ache. Maggie stood there up until the ship left the port, and before she got back into the car, under her breath she said “please come back home alive.”