Out Among the Stars | Teen Ink

Out Among the Stars

By writer102 GOLD, West St. Paul, Minnesota
writer102 GOLD, West St. Paul, Minnesota

They were all shouting my name. “Jenni, over here.” “Smile, Jenni.” They all had commands for me. But I knew what I was doing. I smiled straight, I turned, and flipped my hair. I tilted my head one way, and curtsied gracefully the other. Pose after pose, bright lights dazzled my eyes. I kept posing until mom came, grabbed me by the arm and we entered the huge theater for her movie premiere. Some magazines claimed that with charm and adorableness, that I was more famous than my mom. But all I ever did was follow her around. She was in many movies, sang like an angel, and did endless charity work. Her manager wanted to get me in commercials and movies but mom said that I was too little to get into Hollywood, that it was a terrible world, they would eat me for breakfast. She said that the only reason she did it all was for me. I’ve been on the red carpet many times. I’ve been to major events and many stars have gushed over me, but I was over-rated. I was just an ordinary seven year old kid. I never knew that people paid much attention to me until I met Jasper Larson.
I was in mom’s dressing room while she filmed. I was playing with my Barbies when a tall man entered without knocking or permission. He was scary looking, something in his dark eyes told me to stay away. He was wearing jeans and a t-shirt. Nothing about him from is dark hair to the way he walked seemed safe. He sat down on mama’s couch and crossed his legs.

“Hi Jenni!” He said with enthusiasm. At that age I wasn’t startled when he knew my name. At five the world revolved around me. “How are you today?” I continued playing, not answering him. “Say, would you like a lollipop?” He asked. I shook my head no fast. All of a sudden he picked me up, stuck a handkerchief in my mouth and ran. I couldn’t talk, but I still tried. I kicked and flailed my arms. Everyone was on the sound stage, filming or so I thought. He kept running until he fell fast and hard. All of a sudden big, strong arms picked me up and held me close while Ted, mom’s bodyguard beat him up. I was safe in George Clooney’s arms, he was a co-star of mom, and I knew him well. Then the adventure began. I had to have my own bodyguard, was interrogated by the FBI, and was never alone again. Hollywood used to be my playground, now it was my prison cell, more like a zoo cage because everyone was watching. I played my role as a sweetheart, but other stars knew my real pain. No one knows what it’s like to have a mom who once loved you and then became obsessed with you and keeping you sage.