The Necklace | Teen Ink

The Necklace

By Kayleighbean BRONZE, Columbus, Ohio
Kayleighbean BRONZE, Columbus, Ohio

It was a Tuesday night; August 23rd 2006. The whole family was in the cold, colorless, sick smelling waiting room, waiting on the doctor to come out.

“I just can’t believe she had had a temperature of 105 degrees,” my mom said unbelievingly.

“Mom, she’s going to be alright. I really think she can get through this. So many people have had high temperatures and have been alright,” I tried to comfort her.

The doctor came in the door approaching us slowly.

“How is she?” my father asked as he jumped up.

“She’s doing okay, but she could be doing better,” the doctor replied.

“What’s that supposed to mean?” my mom asked anxiously.

“It means that she has viral infection, which causes convulsion, but thankfully that hasn’t happened yet.” The looks on all our faces were identical. It was a scary moment for all of us.

“Dr. Ryan! We need you in here, it’s Jessica Reese!” the young nurse hollered as she swung the large, wooden door open.

As Dr. Ryan speed walked through the wooden doors, everyone’s eyes followed my mom, who chased the doctor to the one way doors which swung shut in her face. Everyone was still looking at my mom as she pounded on the doors screaming.

“Jamie, come sit down! You’re embarrassing yourself!” my father said as he motioned her to the empty seat beside him.

It was good to see my parents get along like this. To bad they only do when either me or Jessy are in danger or hurt. My mom ended up sitting down but I could still tell she was nervous. Once again we were all sitting in the waiting room without a peep coming out of any of us, but only questions running through our minds. About 20 minutes later, Dr. Ryan came in slower than the time before.

“What’s going on?” my father asked.

“I’m very sorry to be the one telling you this but we just couldn’t help her,” Dr. Ryan said looking down at the floor.

“My baby! You did this on purpose. Where is she? Are you hiding her from me? She isn’t dead!” my mom said frantically as she screamed and sobbed.
“I am truly sorry,” Dr. Ryan repeated.

I looked over to my dad who was all blurry from the tears in my eyes but he was speechless for words.

1 week later

The funeral was very sad but the worst part was that mom showed up drunk. Ever since Jessy died my mom hasn’t been sober other than the first 10 minutes of the day. But even then she had a hangover from the day before.

Today was the day that I move in with my dad. After the funeral I guess that my parents got together and talked and starting today my dad had full custody of me. At least until my mom gets out of rehab and can show us that she’s better. I think it’s what’s best; it’s just going to be a little different around here.

“Dad, I got all the sheets off my bed, can you come help me get this mattress into the truck?” I hollered down stairs.

“I’ll be up in a minute, let me finish talking to your mom.”

On our way to my dad’s it was a quiet ride. Once we got back to the house I was a minute away from being unpacked when I noticed the empty spot on my chest.

“Dad, I don’t know were Jessy’s necklace is!” I yelled as I ran down the stairs.

“Honey, I don’t know what to tell you. It’s too late to drive all the way out to your mom’s house to look for it.

“You just don’t get it! Sorry that you didn’t ever care about her!” I responded.

I rushed back down stairs to my room. It was so hard to fall asleep when there was so much going on in my life to think about. When I finally woke up
in the morning, I went up stairs to make some breakfast, when I remembered my dad has already left for work. On the counter was a note;

Ashlie,
I know you think I never cared about you and your sister but that’s
not true. The whole reason you’re even living with me right now is because
I care about you. I can understand why you’re mad about last night but I will try my best to find you that necklace. Everything going on is hard on everyone right now; your mom just decided to try to fix it in a different way than everyone else. I don’t want you to think she’s a bad person because she’s not; she just needs some help right now. I will see you when I get home and we can talk some more.

Love you,
Daddy

Xoxoxoxox