Homecoming | Teen Ink

Homecoming

October 6, 2009
By hlcsinger BRONZE, Portland, Indiana
hlcsinger BRONZE, Portland, Indiana
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

As I got up this morning, only one thing ran through my mind…homecoming week. My best friend got nominated and is now in the running for the final six candidates to be homecoming king. It was a give-in that I would be his escort to walk him down the track to await the results…or so I thought. I knew something was up when I talked to him about me escorting him because all he said was that he would think about it. I said ok just for the heck of it, not knowing what would lie in store for me.

I was just sitting on my bed, doing my homework, when my phone starts going off, telling me I have a new text message. It was from my good friend, Chad, asking me if I knew anything about the whole escort thing for Todd. I said I didn’t know anything, but that I thought Todd would ask me to be his escort, mostly because I was his best friend. Well, that definitely wasn’t the case. I found out that Todd asked some girl by the name of Madelyn. Madelyn is a major flirt, and Todd has liked her since the eighth grade. I knew he would probably ask her, but I hoped he wouldn’t because I knew it would be fun to walk with my best friend and have a good time. Chad also told me that Todd’s parents were going to buy Madelyn a four-hundred dollar dress just to walk him down the track. I thought that was quite ridiculous, considering she was going to be wearing it for a half hour at the most.

After I found all of this information out, I went to my mom and told her what happened. She was appalled and thought Todd was not acting like a best friend. Of course she sided with me because I am her daughter, but I still thought that was ridiculous. Even if Todd wanted Madelyn to escort him, he should have told me right away so I wouldn’t have been so upset. My mom and I talked for a long time about the situation, and we came to a conclusion that I wouldn’t talk to Todd until he apologized to me. That night, I cried myself to sleep. No matter how many people I talked to, I still could not get the situation out of my head.

The next day was school, and I was not ready to go. I knew there would be some confrontation, but I didn’t know whose end it was going to be on. I knew I needed to talk to Todd about the situation and how it made me feel, but I just couldn’t gather the courage to tell him. I also knew he wouldn’t come up to me because he knew I was mad, and I am not a very forgiving person. I went through the school day like normal, but when I got home, there was a text message from Todd on my phone asking me why I was mad at him. I’m thinking to myself, ‘What an idiot. Can’t he figure this out? Is he really that stupid?’ I was not in the mood to talk; on about every one of my text messages that I sent back to him, I put whatever. Finally, he sent me one that said he thought I hated him, so I called him. I was done with his nonsense. As I was calling him, I kept asking myself over and over again if this was really the right thing to do.

“Hello?” Todd’s voice hinted that he did not want to take this phone call but knew better than to ignore it.

“Ok. What is going on?”

“That’s a very good question. You tell me.”

“You have got to be kidding me. You know why I’m mad.”

“Yeah, but I didn’t think…”

“You’re right. You don’t think.” I was fuming by this point. I finally just let him have it because I was so hurt and angry. After I got done venting to him, he was pretty much speechless.

“Well I have to go, but I’ll talk to you later.”

“Um…ok I guess. Talk to you later Todd.” I knew something was up because someone was at his house, and he didn’t tell me who it was. While I was trying to figure out that mystery, I got a text message from Chad saying that Madelyn was coming over to Todd’s house so Madelyn, Madelyn’s mom, Todd, and Todd’s mom could all go shopping for Madelyn’s dress. My mystery was solved. I had a feeling Madelyn was at Todd’s house, but I didn’t want to say anything and sound like I didn’t know what I was talking about.

All that week, I just went to school as if nothing ever occurred. Other than what happened the one day with Todd, I was fine the rest of the week. Friday night finally came, and I was waiting for halftime. Earlier that day, the student body had to vote for a king and a queen, and I definitely did not vote for Todd. As I awaited the results for the homecoming king and queen, my mind was racing, hoping that Todd did not get it. The announcer called the king candidate first and my luck, Todd’s name was called. The crowd went wild except for me of course. I was standing in the stadium, shocked. After it was all said and done, I went up to Todd to congratulate him, but to my surprise, Todd walked over to me first, gave me a hug, and told me I was a good friend. I was completely confused, but I just let it go. I figured he would explain himself later, but at that moment, life couldn’t be any better.