The Chase | Teen Ink

The Chase

September 25, 2009
By Logan Blackwell BRONZE, Cave Creek, Arizona
Logan Blackwell BRONZE, Cave Creek, Arizona
4 articles 0 photos 6 comments

Galloping faster than he ever thought possible, speeding from the handgun from which he was fired, the antelope knows he won't survive. A diminutive space between the famished lion and the alarmed antelope; from what it seems the victim's end is near. The lion is drawing close, and the antelope is becoming fatigues. Fifteen feet away, the antelope's carnivorous foe is focus on nothing but his lunch. On an African Plain there isn't much else to attract the beast.

The lion's mouth salivating, watching the antelope sprint, feeling tortured. Another lion pounces from a rather monstrous bush and joins his colleague. Then, a shot from a hunting rifle immediately terminates the new lion, leaving the hunter occupied. The noise frightens the indigent antelope, which steers him into a new direction. Now, heading directly towards a tree with no time to turn, the victim is out of options. Sweat running into his eyes; he isn't entirely sure if the tree is indeed a tree, or simply a bush. Thirty feet, twenty feet, ten feet away, he seals his nervous eyes, shaking, he dashes through the bush.

About four miles ahead of the lion and the ill-fated antelope, his only visible way out of this conundrum becomes clear, his pack. Even the most ravenous lion wouldn’t penetrate a large number of antelope. But as the two animals draw closer to the pack, the hopeful little antelope realizes that it is a large series of rocks. As he leaps over the mammoth stones he thinks to himself, this is it, there’s no possible way out this dilemma! As all hope seems lost, something miraculous happens. Approximately fifty feet ahead stood the poor antelope’s father. A rush of adrenaline fills the antelope’s body. The lion spots his prey’s guardian as well. The lion speeds up, now sprinting faster than his “lunch.” The race for his life had begun. What would happen? Would the lion capture his meal, or would there be a showdown between the father and the predator? The carnivore fears the antelope’s protection, but he’s too hungry to care. The antelope runs past his father, and hides behind his leg. The showdown is on.

They stare at each other for approximately a minute. The lion pounces. Not prepared for the attack, the father antelope is tackled to the ground. But the fight is not over. The lion may have strength, but the antelope has stealth and genius. The father antelope gets up and runs toward a tree. By instinct, the lion follows. Without a second thought, the antelope turns three feet away from the tree. The lion hastily runs into it. The impact ends his life. The father reunites with his son. Suddenly… never mind. That’s another story.