Gotta Get Away | Teen Ink

Gotta Get Away

October 14, 2009
By JeanniF. PLATINUM, Brooklyn, New York
JeanniF. PLATINUM, Brooklyn, New York
22 articles 6 photos 7 comments

“I don’t know,” Brooke said between puffs on her cigarette, “I just wanna get outta here Soph. I just wanna get away. I don’t wanna be saddled with this sh** anymore.”

“I know what you mean,” Sophie replied, plucking the cigarette from her friend’s hand and stubbing it out with her toe, “I wanna get away from them all too, but I don’t wanna go somewhere that won’t ever be as magical as Brooklyn. As all of New York City.”

“Sophie Davis, you know as well as I do that there’s a whole ‘nother world out there! You gotta get outta here someday! Why not now?”

“Neither of us knows any such thing Brooke Harris,” Sophie returned the last name jab, “We’ve never been west of the Hudson.”

“But it exists Soph! We have to give it a shot!”

“I want to, but I don’t want to.” Sophie sighed, tucking a light blonde lock behind her ear. Brooke’s dark hair was wild with her excitement. “I want to go, but Brooke, what if it isn’t magic there? What if there’s no sunrise like the one over Coney? No dewdrops like the ones in Prospect at 6 when we run? No bagels, pizza, or hot dogs like New York’s?”

“Well baby, that’s bound to be what it’s like. But maybe you’ll find something new to love. Maybe you’ll find a boy to love.” Brooke raised her dark eyebrows suggestively. Sophie smacked her in the knee.

“No way Brooke. I’m just not into romance. Never will be.”

“We’ll see.” Brooke lit another cigarette. Sophie scowled. “Don’t give me that speech Soph, I know they’ll kill me. Better them than the b**ch.” Sophie’s scowl deepened. “And you know what, woman, your habits are no better!” Sophie tugged her sleeves down over her hands. Brooke’s expression softened. “I’m sorry honey, I know you’re trying to do better.” She wrapped an arm around Sophie, “You’ll do better outta here.” Neither of them spoke a word as the sun rose beyond the bridge in front of them, as Brooklyn began to wake up, as each of their hearts burst inside.