Are you there?

Still here, it's been three months, and I want a home. Are you watching me, as I lie here on this floor? Tired of life, but ready to live. Sick of the people who bring me hope and leave anyway. I want a home. They say you feel what I do, they say you're here every moment. Will you be another fickle face, will you swallow me and spit me out? Will you really love me? Will you stay? Stay 'till the darkness leaves? I'm scared, and need someone to hold me. Stay here with me and keep me safe and warm 'till I'm gone. I know you're busy; I know I'm just one-- but you might be the only one who saves me. The only one to see me. I'm not pretty or big or small, but I have a heart and brown eyes to see with. The only one to see me. Why is it so hard? Why can't you just take me? I don't have long to go, so give me a home, before I fade completely. Can you feel, can you feel how cold my fur is? Or is it my heart? Do you cry as I do? Do you howl and whimper and shiver? Are you lonely, so tall and strong up there? I am, lonely on the ground here. Like I have felt, all my life. You're the only one to save my heart. How are you so strong? What's it like to be so free, to be as you please? Your heart is really something, I guess, your love--a complete mystery. To me.

Are you there?
Are you watching me?
Do you cry, do you cry with me?
Cry with me tonight, as I die.
But now,
I know you're there.
You'll look after me.