Pretend | Teen Ink

Pretend

September 15, 2009
By ToDDAS BRONZE, Tucson, Arizona
ToDDAS BRONZE, Tucson, Arizona
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

My pretty long purple dress moves when I move as I rapidly make my way toward the yellow house at the top of the hill. Its blue door is open a little as I see Princes Katie. She has in her hand a small round pan. She adds a cup of water to it as she watches it. I run up to the door.

“Princess Katie,” I said.

“What is it, Princess Chrissa?” She turns to me as she puts the pan down. Her pretty pink dress is the same as usual with her red hair up in a high bun. I play with my own long black hair as I tell her what is wrong.

“Tom has kidnapped Princess Aly,” I said.

“What?” She comes up to me, “We have to save her!”

I agree and we both run down. Our horses are waiting below the hill. The road is very crowded today. It was difficult to get through the crowd on our horses. They couldn’t go into the sand, and that’s where the tower was. We had to cross a big lava lake too. We both stopped and got off of our horses before giving them to someone else. That person had their own dragon to beat. We ran across the desert. We had to stop for a moment because I got sand in my shoe. Once the sand was out we climbed to the top of the hill. We then needed to climb across the bars to get to the other side. If we fell into the lava lake it would be bad.

We finally made it across- our arms were very tired. That’s when we saw them. Tom was at the very highest tower. Next to him in her pretty yellow dress was Princess Aly. Tom laughed as he moved his cape around and looked down at us, “Haha! I have taken Princess Aly’s power!”

“No!” I gasped. We all had powers. I could look at someone and they would turn into whatever I wanted them to be. I looked at Tom. Doggie doo I thought before opening my eyes again, “Ha! I turned you into doggie doo!”

“No fair!” Tom yelled back. He then closed his eyes and opened them back, “See? I changed back!” He stuck his tongue out at me.

“But we’ll get the power and Aly back!” Princess Katie said, pointing at the stupid head.

“No you won’t!”

“Yes we will!”

“Nu-uh”

“Uh-huh!” The two went back and forth for a little longer before I heard a whistle.

“We will next time!” I said.

“No you won’t,” Tom said before he turned and went away. I looked down at the lava lake to see him and Princess Aly running across. They went back the way we had come, going up another hill, and through a set of big doors. Princess Katie and I ran too. My long black hair shortened to its normal curly blonde hair as Princess Katie’s hair changed back to its straight black hair.

My dress changed back into my jeans and shirt as I stumbled up the stairs and through the doors of the preschool my mom had put me in. It was snack time.


The author's comments:
I used to love pretend so much when I was younger that when I got to the age that it wasn't appropriate, I was heart broken. Then I realized: that's what I do every time I write.