Shark Attack | Teen Ink

Shark Attack

I will always remember the day I killed my brother. Well, I didn’t really kill him, but in my mind, that’s how I see it.

I remember the day as if it were yesterday. It had been a warm, breezy summer day and my family was taking a vacation on the peaceful island of Maui, Hawaii. The warm breeze blew softly, rippling through the palm trees on the island. The sun’s rays were like radiant beam from the heavens. Lets just say, it felt like paradise.

My family had rented a cozy cottage by the shimmering ocean for a week. My family consisted of my Mother, Father, brother Lukas, and me, Kelley. My parents were the average American parents, always wanting the best for my brother and I. Then, there was my twin brother. Oh, how I loved Lukas, we had shared so many great memories. Lukas looked very unique. He had curly, ginger hair that bobbed up and down when he laughed. He had freckles that sprinkled his cheeks evenly. On the other hand, I have plain, ginger hair, but not as interesting as Lukas’s. No one could ever match Lukas. He was my hero, best friend, and brother.

It was another gorgeous, sunny day in Hawaii and Lukas and I had decided to wake up extra early to see the breathtaking sunrise. Nothing can describe the sunrises in Hawaii. Seeing the sunrise from (what looks like) the depth of the ocean is such an amazing sight you have to see.

Lukas and I sat and bathed in the glory of the red and orange rays of the sun that slowly rose from the depths of the sparkling ocean. Suddenly, Lukas got what seemed to be a brilliant idea of taking a morning swim. At first I was against the idea of swimming when signs clearly stated “No Swimming”. But, the more I looked at the sparkly, sapphire blue water, the more inviting it began to look.

Within a blink of an eye, Lukas and I had snuck into the cabin and blindly squeezed into our bathing suits. We stood in front of the dark, deep ocean, daring each other to take the leap first. Eventually we both held hands, counted to three, and took the plunge off the dock. In we fell deeper and deeper, until we felt the rough sand beneath our feet. We pushed off the ground and through the piercing cold water to the surface. When we reached the top we both laughed heartily as adrenaline filled our veins. At first we waded around and splashed each other, but Lukas got bored and started wading farther and farther out. I should have been worried but I knew Lukas, and he was most definitely a swimmer.

All of a sudden clouds obscured the sun and tiny pelts of water began to fall. I began to scurry out of the water, but first I looked behind me to check on my brother. He was pretty far out but he had begun to wade back in. Everything looked fairly normal at first, until I noticed them, the fins of sharks. I immediately panicked and had no idea what to do. I flashed back to the book I had read about sharks when I was younger. Everything made since now. Never swim in the ocean when a sign says “No Swimming”, because its there for a reason. I also remember the books advising not to swim during dawn or dusk because this is when the sharks are most active and feeding.

“Lukas, get out of the water, now!” I screamed. That’s when he finally saw the fins. He began ferociously swimming towards the shore with as much energy as he could muster, but the shark was faster. I remember feeling scared and helpless, not knowing what to do. I wanted to courageously dive on top of the shark and beat him to a pulp, but I knew that wasn’t going to happen.

I finally decided that Lukas’s life was worth more than mine and I plunged into the water to save my only, loving brother. But, in my heart, I knew it was too late. I saw Lukas’s head bob once more above the surface.

“Kelley, I love you”, my twin yelped, taking his last breath.

“Lukas, I love you too”, I screeched, tears sling down my rosy cheeks. The pellets of water fell faster and mixed with my streaming tears. Next thing I knew the shark went in for the kill and Lukas was gone, just like that. I had seen it coming; I could have distracted the shark, but no. I was too caught up in the moment. I lay down in the rocky sand and thoughts flooded my head, why him, why Lukas? But the answer never came to me.

Days later the police, scuba divers, and FBI were still searching for him. Lukas was declared drowned, even though his body was never found. I could never bring myself to tell the truth. It was just the shark’s and my secret; a horrible, ugly, despicable secret.

I enjoy learning about sharks so I thought it would be interesting to right a story about a shark attack.

neby said...
Stay strong .dont feel bad.dont blame yourself.life for lucas okay!

i luv this story

wichmann94 said...
wichmann94, Manhattan, Kansas
Thanks for the comments! I actually editted it and I added more details and goood stuff :). I dont know if i can change it on here though... I was very surprised by the positive comments but they made my day. xoxo Kaitlin

sillygirl said...
I would be so upset if that ever happened I loved the way you described what Lukas looked liked! I love that his last words were Kelley I love you that makes it all the more heart wretching

a_bunch_of_nuns, Unknown, Wisconsin
WOW!! I love this story! I like the way you set it a sort of memory-mode, and then...as a reader you could almost feel like the main character. Great writer-reader connection, speaking of which. You know, this would make a good prolouge of a book... ;)

biddycakes said...
biddycakes, Charlotte, North Carolina
wow that was kinda scary now im wondering if that actually happend to you? i mean you had really really good details like you were there! it was really good

criminalninja<33 SILVER, Hidalgo, Texas

"things are only as beautiful as u percieve them"

this was pretty interesting...=] except maybe i think u should have written the words "first leap"... either than that it was definately entertaining! keep'm coming

on Oct. 9 2009 at 9:55 am
This sounds like a good book and something i would like to read if i can get my hands on a book.