Plane Ride | Teen Ink

Plane Ride

By yaelephant5 PLATINUM, Potomac, Maryland
yaelephant5 PLATINUM, Potomac, Maryland

"Writing, I think, is not apart from living. Writing is a kind of double living. The writer experiences everything twice. Once in reality and once in the mirror which waits always before or behind."

The coffee on the plane was good and it made me cry. I wiped my eyes on one of the square napkins with a texture of toilet paper. My makeup was smudged. I could see how I would look in a mirror, red eyes from lack of sleep, and bits of eyeliner hanging unwanted under drooping, saggy bags. I turned away from my reflection in my mind and instead looked out the oval shaped window. A great expanse of white clouds stretched forever to the corners of nothingness. I wanted to free fall into it, feel the sharp tingling cold, feel my feet chaterring and my heart shattering again and again in all the surround white. I opened up the white lid of my coffee and opened up a small splatic carton of creamer and poured the too- white creamer into the darker coffee and opened up a pack of white granulated sugar. I poured that in too, and I could almost see the particles, the pieces, drift slowly to congregate peacefully on the bottom of the cardboard cup. A sip of coffee and a light brown drop landing on this white paper and staining and spreading and making dirty after one hour in the plane.