They say writing is therapy, so I had better start cultivating the use of my pen This work is considered exceptional by our editorial staff.

As an experiment,
the doctors gave me a heart for a brain when I was born.
Like the creation of Frankenstein, but with a penchant for singing the blues and the eyes to prove it, “Love” was my first breath, my first step, my first word.
In kindergarten, as we learned mathematics, all I could understand and fathom to the answer for the
equation 1+1 was “love.” And when asked what makes the world go ‘round, it wasn’t the laws of physics or the dynamics of the sun and planets, but love.
“Juliet, what do all humans need to survive?”
“Love.”
“What is the most abundant element in the world?”
“Love.”

But as I’ve grown older, the questions have become more difficult and my answers don’t seem to suffice anymore.
“What is the first step towards dismantling various systems of oppression?” “How do we lessen the gap between the haves and the have nots?”
“Love? Love?”

I have had and have had not, but this four letter word which has been the foundation of not just my existence but my choice to live intentionally, is causing complications in my head and chest (And I’ve
become immune to these pharmecutical heart menders).
"Teach her," but Teacher, I can’t give you the “logical and sensible” answer you want because I’m too emotionally invested in every word that I claim as my own. I
can’t see or understand this cold reality that has been constructed because I was force fed anthems about how there ain’t no mountain high enough to keep me from you and that all you need is love.

These four letters, this one word, this endless story, this
international song- “Love, love, love” has been something I have dreamed of since conception, an obsession for possession that’s never been mine to safely and proudly hold.

But I still think in terms of dedication and converse in regards to vulnerability and openness. I have to believe that “what the world needs now is love sweet love” or else all of these words become senseless and naive, rather than hopeful, optimistic, and willing. I can’t walk around with my hands in my pockets anymore because they are too full with wishing pennies and shooting stars, so I step with my eager fingers, searching for other fingers and smiles and laughter and fragility and hurt and joy and hearts. I have to believe that love is a many splendid thing, that love CAN make these mountains move because even though they say love is blind,
love has proven to be the most effective prescription for my clearer vision.

However, sometimes my sight becomes clouded by a mixture of ingrained insecurity and tears, and I fall. I still have bruises that have yet to fade. But I’ve come to learn that these stumbles, sticks and stones may bruise my heart and break my bones, but love will always
move me
heal me
teach me.

And I’m still learning.

TabithaLThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Aug. 23, 2015 at 7:37 am
This is truely amazing. Your choice of words is so captivating, and your voice is so unique. This is what writing is about. You kept me interested the entire time, and had me hooked from the first sentence. Great job! It was quite far from anything tedious.

BradyLauze said...
Jan. 29, 2015 at 12:46 am
Absolutely amazing, your writing style and diction is so captivating that it just keeps my eyes attached to every word. Fantastic job!

Inkzlinger said...
Ah, you write so beautifully! Your emotions play so powerfully throughout your writing. Great job!

listeningtostars This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
This is probably the best article I have read on this site. I'm absolutley in love with your writing style. 

leftblank said...
Jun. 26, 2014 at 6:41 am
this waspowerful :) awesome work

TypewriterUnicorn said...
I realy enjoyed this piece! It had a good rhythm and an almost poetic side to it. I found it very engaging and now i'm sad i'ts over... 

theblondechick This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
This was beautiful! I really emjoyed it. You've left me with something  deeper and profound to think about. Great job!

RelativetoWriting This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Wow, what a piece! I enjoy reading the rhythm of your  sentences. 

beccalynn1663 said...
This is so original! i loved reading it!

Emily_96 said...
Poetry in story form. I rarely read a story where someone has mastered it and yet, here I am, reading one of the few. Honestly beautiful, and something everyone can relate to.

hudsonbytheday said...
Wow, you have mastered writing to a theme in a way that is unique. Your style has all the qualities of poetry but in a story

emily.a said...
Sept. 17, 2009 at 5:33 am
a piece nicely written.very unique too.

Holly D. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
This, quite blatantly, is the best piece of teenage writing that I have ever read.I will make sure that me LA teacher and all of my friends read this. You are a truely amazing writer, and this piece sent chills down my spine.

Caroline G. said...
Sept. 16, 2009 at 1:39 am
Wow, this is a strong piece. There's a lot to be said in what you're talking about. Continue to use your gift :)

Zoe M. replied...
I enjoyed this piece very much. Your writing style is very visual, and it's one of my favorite styles to read.