confessions of a teenage mother | Teen Ink

confessions of a teenage mother

Do you ever find yourself thinking about the past? About all that you would change if you could. If you were given the opportunity. Do you ever find yourself blaming everyone possible for your current situation except the one person that is really to blame? Do you ever get tired of all these questions? I mean yes ok life sucks I get it. No doubt about that. I am well aware that life could have been so much better if I actually did something. If I didn’t let things get in my way. If I avoided the obstacles. If I didn’t succumb to all the pressure. If only I tried. Tried a little bit harder.
Maybe.
Maybe then I wouldn’t be thinking what if. But that’s all my life’s ever going to be. A blank page. A big question mark. That’s all I’m ever going to ask myself. What if.
I’m thirty two years old. Its February 6, 2009. It’s 6:52. It’s Friday night and I’m just getting home. iCarly welcomes me into my now fourteen year rented apartment and a wave of fatigue flows through my body. My mother cooked tonight and the savory taste of spaghetti with meatballs makes my mouth water. It’s been a long day. And I’m tired. Sometimes I wonder why I chose this life and before I can the two answers greet me with smiling faces. My daughters. And at the moment all’s forgotten and I sit down for dinner with my family.
So how’s school.
Fine.
You get used to the one word answers after raising two kids by yourself.
Anything new?
No.
I can’t help but smirk because we all know the routine. In about five minutes, my youngest daughter will take over the table talk. Having completed half of her fifth grade year, she is all ears for drama. She’s at that age where she thinks she knows everything, and sometimes I believe she’ s close to it. Her attitude is remarkable; you can’t help but love her. But she is a sweet girl.
5, 4, 3, 2…
“Today Maggie didn’t talk to me…” I calmly listen but it is the same story every single day. Maggie is my youngest daughter’s current best friend. You see, it changes every week. I slouch a bit in my seat, take a sip of water and become all ears for the All Saints School’s Inside Scoop by Daniela Simone Diaz.

xxEbonyxx SILVER, McKinney, Texas

Take me as I am

I agree. This is a good article, but if you had delved deeper into her thoughts I would have liked it a lot more.

krarthurs SILVER, Plymouth, Massachusetts

All generous minds have a horror of what are commonly called "Facts". They are the brute beasts of the intellectual domain.
-Thomas Hobbes

I would really love to read more and see what happened in the mother's past. Good job, though. I enjoyed reading it

LillianR28 BRONZE, Memphis, TN, Tennessee
I like it. You should go in depth about what happened in the past & how she wound up with two daughters. Don't be afraid to get into the dirt with it, it has great potential. 

MadisonReneeJane GOLD, Norman, Oklahoma

The walls we build around us to keep out the sadness also keep out the joy. - Jim Rohn

I think you should revise it and describe her feelings a little more originally. I felt like I was reading a story I've read a hundred times. It was very short, too. I hope you write more and make it a little deeper. :)

AlonsoTwin said...
on Jul. 28 2010 at 11:00 am
I think it was a very well written story.

Cuore GOLD said...
Cuore GOLD, Saint Augustine, Florida

Be the change you wish to see- Ghandi

Everything in this room is eatable, even I'm eatable, but that my dears is called cannibalism and is highly frowned upon in most societies.- Willy Wonka

Bright lights often blind those who can't see. ~

Defenitley has potential. A little more detail about the older kid and her current life would be good.

iOWNyU BRONZE said...
on Jul. 6 2010 at 1:55 am
iOWNyU BRONZE, Bridgeport, Connecticut

what comes around goes around

loved it,it was very intrestiing

on Apr. 9 2010 at 5:24 am
She said that one of her daughters was fourteen, and she was thirty-two, meaning that she had her daughter at age 19, when she was a teenager.

robrobrobin11 BRONZE, Concord, New Hampshire
it had a ton of potential. I like the voice and you really begin to capture the MC's "being" I'd just suggest some punctuation/grammar edits, but I mean it's not autrocious by any means. I think it could go a lot further if you want to expand it, all in all nice writing. Keep writing :)

ResistMe PLATINUM, New Tazewell, Tennessee
This was quite interesting.

But I'm only fourteen.:P.

my mom always told me to shut my mouth when I would ramble about my middle school drama.haha.Your little girl will appreciate you listening to her in the future.promise.:P.

five stars.:D

on Sep. 5 2009 at 7:29 am
Leena7395 SILVER, Spring Grove, Illinois

Be who you are because those who matter don't mind, and those who mind don't matter.

i really liked this one! i didnt really see how its from a teenage mother, but it was really good!

I get it, she was a teen mom. Now she's a regular mom and she's tired. Good job, you made me feel her exhaustion.

i love this story i like all stories that are like this one and december night i like that one to...thanx

hey thats a really good story i really liked it...i love stories like this one...

bossylady said...
Great article. You should seriously think about writing short stories for publication. You may even get paid for them one day.

Gabriella Sanes BRONZE, New York, New York
Hey Rachael2012- its not from a teenage mother- but ur right, there is more to the writing. im glad u liked it. =)

Rachael2012 BRONZE, Big Lake, Minnesota
This is very good. I don't see how it's from a teenage mother, but perhaps there is more to the writing. Overall, I thought it was pretty descriptive.