confessions of a teenage mother

Do you ever find yourself thinking about the past? About all that you would change if you could. If you were given the opportunity. Do you ever find yourself blaming everyone possible for your current situation except the one person that is really to blame? Do you ever get tired of all these questions? I mean yes ok life sucks I get it. No doubt about that. I am well aware that life could have been so much better if I actually did something. If I didn’t let things get in my way. If I avoided the obstacles. If I didn’t succumb to all the pressure. If only I tried. Tried a little bit harder.
Maybe.
Maybe then I wouldn’t be thinking what if. But that’s all my life’s ever going to be. A blank page. A big question mark. That’s all I’m ever going to ask myself. What if.
I’m thirty two years old. Its February 6, 2009. It’s 6:52. It’s Friday night and I’m just getting home. iCarly welcomes me into my now fourteen year rented apartment and a wave of fatigue flows through my body. My mother cooked tonight and the savory taste of spaghetti with meatballs makes my mouth water. It’s been a long day. And I’m tired. Sometimes I wonder why I chose this life and before I can the two answers greet me with smiling faces. My daughters. And at the moment all’s forgotten and I sit down for dinner with my family.
So how’s school.
Fine.
You get used to the one word answers after raising two kids by yourself.
Anything new?
No.
I can’t help but smirk because we all know the routine. In about five minutes, my youngest daughter will take over the table talk. Having completed half of her fifth grade year, she is all ears for drama. She’s at that age where she thinks she knows everything, and sometimes I believe she’ s close to it. Her attitude is remarkable; you can’t help but love her. But she is a sweet girl.
5, 4, 3, 2…
“Today Maggie didn’t talk to me…” I calmly listen but it is the same story every single day. Maggie is my youngest daughter’s current best friend. You see, it changes every week. I slouch a bit in my seat, take a sip of water and become all ears for the All Saints School’s Inside Scoop by Daniela Simone Diaz.

xxxEbonyxxx said...
I agree. This is a good article, but if you had delved deeper into her thoughts I would have liked it a lot more.

krarthurs said...
I would really love to read more and see what happened in the mother's past. Good job, though. I enjoyed reading it

LillianMarie28 said...
I like it. You should go in depth about what happened in the past & how she wound up with two daughters. Don't be afraid to get into the dirt with it, it has great potential. 

MadisonReneeJane said...
I think you should revise it and describe her feelings a little more originally. I felt like I was reading a story I've read a hundred times. It was very short, too. I hope you write more and make it a little deeper. :)

AlonsoTwin said...
Jul. 28, 2010 at 11:00 am
I think it was a very well written story.

Cuore said...
Defenitley has potential. A little more detail about the older kid and her current life would be good.

iOWNyU said...
Jul. 6, 2010 at 1:55 am
loved it,it was very intrestiing

robrobrobin11 said...
it had a ton of potential. I like the voice and you really begin to capture the MC's "being" I'd just suggest some punctuation/grammar edits, but I mean it's not autrocious by any means. I think it could go a lot further if you want to expand it, all in all nice writing. Keep writing :)

sunnylittlelemons This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
This was quite interesting.
But I'm only fourteen.:P.
my mom always told me to shut my mouth when I would ramble about my middle school drama.haha.Your little girl will appreciate you listening to her in the future.promise.:P.
five stars.:D

Little2Feet said...
Sept. 5, 2009 at 7:29 am
i really liked this one! i didnt really see how its from a teenage mother, but it was really good!

thetiedyecrayon replied...
Apr. 9, 2010 at 5:24 am
She said that one of her daughters was fourteen, and she was thirty-two, meaning that she had her daughter at age 19, when she was a teenager.

austenw/spunk said...
I get it, she was a teen mom. Now she's a regular mom and she's tired. Good job, you made me feel her exhaustion.

ashleighforce1133 said...
i love this story i like all stories that are like this one and december night i like that one to...thanx

Ashleyforce1133 said...
hey thats a really good story i really liked it...i love stories like this one...

bossylady said...
Great article. You should seriously think about writing short stories for publication. You may even get paid for them one day.

Gabriella S. said...
Hey Rachael2012- its not from a teenage mother- but ur right, there is more to the writing. im glad u liked it. =)

Rachael2012 said...
This is very good. I don't see how it's from a teenage mother, but perhaps there is more to the writing. Overall, I thought it was pretty descriptive.