Your Average Girl/ Your Ordinary Day | Teen Ink

Your Average Girl/ Your Ordinary Day

July 30, 2009
By Anonymous

You don’t know me. i set my alarm at 7:15. When the irking beats disturb my sleep, I drowsily hit the snooze button. With 10 peaceful undisturbed minutes, I attempt to reenter the flawless life I lived in those wonderful sets of REM sleep. Once again I am unsuccessful, I hit the snooze button again only this time turn over unto my back, kick off my sheets and get ready for Monday.
Yawn. I turn off my alarm and pull up the shade. By my window I dig through my basket and obtain my green and white toothbrush and my arm and hammer fluoride toothpaste, the whitening edition. I groggily turn and begin walking towards my door. I look into my door mirror and stare at my reflection. Sleep stares back. A tired, just woken up girl, about 15 or 16, about 5’8, 150 lbs, DA boxers and an oversized long sleeved DA shirt stares back. This is what you wanted. And she nods, attempts a smile and walks out the door.
The tiled bathroom floor is cold from the early morning. I turn the faucet on and watch as the water gushes out. I wash sleep off my face and feel the cold water tingle as it touches my face. I stand there a bit. Look in the mirror. My face dripping wet from the water. I pat my face with a towel and head back to my room. It’s 7:22. I pack my book bag so that I don’t have to rush later. Now, what do I wear?
That’s the first time today that I’ve thought of him. My mouth works its way into a smile. I miss him already. What would make him notice me? I want him to say that I look nice today. I want to look cute. I walk to my closet and begin searching through my clothes. I wore that. I don’t like that. I have to wash that. Someone else wore something like that. Nothing seemed to pop out. I go to my friend’s room and ask if I can borrow an outfit. I borrow a pink and orange skirt and I wear a white tank. I lay my outfit out and then begin doing my hair. I straighten it and flip the ends. I do my make-up. And then get dress. Its 8:00. My friends knock on my door to see if I’m ready to go, “one minute” I tell them. I apply my lip plumper and gloss and spray some perfume before heading out the door.
“Wow” “you look so cute” “ok I see you” these were only some out of the many compliments that I got from my friends and others at breakfast. I had a smile on my face as I put my bag down and headed for the fruit section as I always do for breakfast. The only person I wanted to see was him, and he rarely comes to breakfast. I get my grapefruit and water and head to the usual table.
As I’m cutting up my grapefruit, he walks in. I can’t help but smile as he waves to me from across the dining hall. I wave him over and he sits down next to me. “Hey babe, Good morning”, “Hey” that’s it? That’s all he’s going to say? Well I’m still sitting down; he hasn’t seen my outfit yet. I get up to refill my glass. I come back, nothing. He’s in on the table talk. Whatever, maybe he’ll notice later. I have first off. But I also have a meeting with Mr. Armes. But like the good girlfriend that I am, I offer to walk him to my first class. “Thanks babe, you’re the best” “I know I know” “Do you know that I love you?” and he kisses me, right there, in front of everyone. I smile. “I love you too”. More than you know. And just like that. We head to first period.
After I drop him off I head to a bench under a tree on the main lawn. There I scan through my Spanish flash cards until second period. The bench becomes cozy and so I close my eyes. Just for a bit
“Hey sleepyhead, you’re going to be late”. Blink. “Some studying, I see”. It’s him. He smiles down at me and explains how he was let out a little early and saw me outside his classroom window. We both have next period in the same building so we walk together. Something’s strange about today, seen him more than often. But I don’t want to ruin the moment. So I stay shut and walk to my next class, hand in hand with him.

The author's comments:
Ordinary girl, getting up and getting ready for an ordinary day, but it’s more than that like how taking the time the energy the patience to work at something. Not knowing what the outcome will be not having any guarantee that there’ll be a tomorrow But everyone still does it: you get up you brush your teeth u comb your hair u get dress u go to class, all to fulfill people’s expectations of you. All to make a difference for tomorrow, only to go to bed wake up and do it all over again.