i'll write you a love song if you'll be my inspiration | Teen Ink

i'll write you a love song if you'll be my inspiration

By xxxCrazyMarzGirlxxx SILVER, Portland, Oregon
xxxCrazyMarzGirlxxx SILVER, Portland, Oregon

I watched as my parents got into the family minivan, pulled out the driveway and drove away to this place for some baby shower. Baby showers, weddings and funerals just aren’t my scene. Too much drama and tears. So instead I plopped down onto the couch and clicked the TV on. I randomly flipped the channels. Spongebob. 90210. News. News. News. Wow, it was Friday night and absolutely nothing good was on. ‘Yeah, $99 a month was so worth it,’ I thought with heavy sarcasm.

My heart jumped with surprise as the house phone ringed suddenly, the sharp sound bounced off the living room walls. Could it be her? I got up quickly and answered on the third ring.

“Hello.” I said coolly, hoping in the back of my mind that it was her.

“Jared?” a soft voice asked. Kelsi! I could feel every nerve in my body become excited. I was right, but wrong in a way.

“So how are you, honey?” I asked, sitting back down onto the couch with the cordless phone.

“Ugh,not so great to be honest.”

“Why, what’s wrong?” I asked urgently, my spine straightened.

“Hmm, that’s why I was calling...”

“yes?” I urged on, my heart pounded in my chest. Must be the intensity.

“I think we should break-up?” she rushed.

“You think?” I accused, ”You say it like a dumb question!”

“Jared, it doesn’t matter what I –“ I hanged up on her mid-sentence. I sat there and boiled in my thoughts for a moment before I got up and moved quickly to the back porch. I leaned against the wood siding as I breathed in the chilly autumn night air. It was 7:30 but it might as well have been ten, the stars were out. I took a deep breath, held it, and then exhaled slowly. I was starting to calm down. Kelsi and I had been dating since the ninth grade, about three years ago. I was two months shy of eighteen so it felt like heartbreak was an early birthday present.

It almost felt like fate what happened next - and what would happen later- because at that second I looked up and thought, ‘I wish it didn’t have to end this way,’ just as a bright light streaked across the cave-dark sky. A star. With out realizing it I had wished upon a shooting star. ‘Maybe it’ll come true’, I thought sarcastically.

“Yeah, when pigs fly!” I bitterly scoffed out loud. My words came out in wisps of white mist. The cold was getting to me so I went back inside, the screen door smacked behind me. Out side a light breeze became a fierce wind as it rustled through the metal wind chimes that spinned like noisy little tornadoes. A storm was approaching.

I boredly trudged upstairs to my room. I ignored the calculus homework that sat on my desk like a source of evil and went straight for my acoustic guitar. I sat onto the edge of my bed, cleared my throat and opened my mouth to sing;
“ I wish you would come back.
Don’t you know you didn’t need to go?
This is where you belong,
With you I belong.
Separation is cruel,
You’ve been gone for too long…”

It was like the words were pouring out of me like blood from a severe wound, the lyrics were a stranger to me but it was my song. The chords came out beautifully even though they were random. They were honest.
“You should take me with you
where ever you go.
You’re the only path I know,
You’re all I want and more.
I know you’re scared to love,
Scared to live,
Just know I am too.
I belong with you,
With out –“
Knock, knock! Ding-ding-ding!

I sighed deeply, someone was at the door. I relunctedly forced myself up and went downstairs while wandering who it could be because it was nearing nine. I turned the porch light on. With the neck of the guitar in one hand, I answered the door. Even if I were told in advance, I would still be surprised to see who it was on the other side.

“Kelsi?!” I squeaked both surprised and confused. Kelsi was standing in front of me, shaking from the cold and drenched in rain. I hadn’t realized it was raining, especially so hard.

“Hey.” She croaked. Her dark blue eyes were casted downward, her hood hid her face. I returned the simple greeting. A silence stretched on between us. I stared at her until I could no longer see her clearly.

“So what do you want?” I asked huskily breaking the silence. Kelsi gulped, I hadn’t meant for it to sound so harsh. kelsi looked me in the eyes as she bit her lip nervously.

“Kelsi!” I dropped my guitar in surprise as kelsi reached up and hugged me around the neck. The guitar echoed as it hit the floor. I was beyond the meaning of bewildered.

“I’m so sorry Jared, I didn’t mean it. What was I thinking? I love you!” she went on hysterically as tears rushed down her face. I pulled her closer into a loving hug.

“Come in before you freeze.” I invited, leading her inside but I checked real quickly as I shut the door for signs that this was a dream or something. No flying pigs. Well, there was swine flu…

i hopes ya'll like it, i worked real hard on it!

on Sep. 6 2009 at 10:10 pm
booksarelife4me SILVER, Lutherville, Maryland

"Forgive and Forget and Never Regret."~A old friend

ooo i loved it! very cute!

lalala523 said...
on Aug. 26 2009 at 2:56 am
alright this is absolutely aaadorable. very real. keep it up!

on Aug. 23 2009 at 5:28 pm
kiwi12 PLATINUM, Austin, Texas
there should be more, the funny line at the end suggests it.

very cute!! =]

on Aug. 22 2009 at 6:55 pm
bandmusic101 PLATINUM, Meadville, Pennsylvania
I liked this, it was cute. I love the last line. Soo funny.

on Aug. 22 2009 at 1:07 pm
unearthlyhaphazard GOLD, N/A, New York

"There are three rules for writing the novel. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."~W. Somerset Maugham

Pretty good. The last paragraph cracked me up.

on Aug. 22 2009 at 7:37 am
wind'schime SILVER, Malacca, Other
not a bad story.keep it up.your last sentence was funny though =D