The Mocking Bird | Teen Ink

The Mocking Bird

August 14, 2009
By Anonymous

Selena awoke one morning to the familiar sound of birds chirping. “Looks like another beautiful morning.” She thought to herself. She looked toward the window beside her and there perched on the hinge of the window was a mocking bird. Its graceful wings flapped as it slowly glided away again.


Selena found herself walking down the staircase, on her way to the kitchen.
Pouring herself tea, she started to plan out her morning. “First,” She thought, “I’ll sit outside and read my novel.”


Selena collected her book and cup of tea outside to her backyard. To her right side, there was a rose bush and a Sakura tree. To her left was a small garden with a gnome standing in front of the garden. Selena chuckled; it looked like it was trying to say “go away.”


She finally sat down and started to read… “Sarah opened the door and…” Cheep! Cheep! Selena shut the book and put it beside her on the bench; and then she looked up. There was always something that interrupted her reading time which maddened her. She sighed and looked around to see what was making that sound. Sitting on a tiny branch in the Sakura tree was a mocking bird looking right at Selena. She tiptoed across her yard slowly but carefully so that she could get a closer look.


When Selena got close enough to see the bird, it majestically flew away. She tried to follow it but did not get the chance. Suddenly, a swarm of birds started to fly around her as she stared in awe. Just like that, they disappeared along with the first bird.


Selena carried her tea cup and book back inside her house. She took one more glance outside and said to herself, “what a wonderful world.”


The author's comments:
I was writing this piece at the canadian book camp and thought i might explore my talents. See what others think.