Names

Have you ever searched your name in Google? Or ANY public search engine at that? Just to find out what everyone else in the world can just find out about you? I have. Looking at the letters fly onto the screen and the mouse click on the "Search" button. The screen flashes a moment of white before the list appears. Name after name appears on the screen, all mine, but none of the people on the list are me. I see authors and artists and possibly a criminal. Even just people you see walking down the street. Facebooks, MySpaces, Twitters, and god knows what else. How does one make a name for themselves when so many share theirs?
"June! Dinner!" My mother calls up to me. Or to the names I'm still scrolling past. God only knows.
"Just a minute Mom!" I wonder, who shares her name. Many share her title, but who shares her name? Maybe a newborn child, maybe some deranged serial killer. Names might be what your called, but they will not define you. Otherwise, the world is scarier than I thought. I leave my computer and go down to my family, who named me and who really know me and don't define me by my name.

TheRightToDream This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Guilty. I've done that. Multiple times. Mostly to relive the glory days (I was in gymnastics until I was fourteen, and they posted the results online)...but not many people share my name. Apparently.
Great insight. I enjoyed reading this. :)

Sydney(: said...
Wow, I have never thought about a name so much! I loved that you explored a topic different than what others write about!

It flowed really well for the most part, but there were some parts where it didn't quite flow. That's the only thing I can think of for you to work on. Otherwise, superb!

Check out some of my work!

~Sydney