Lost | Teen Ink

Lost

“So, are you going or not?” the group looked down at the girl writing at her desk.

“To what?” she didn’t even look up.

“The party stupid.” They laughed. “You know this weekend?”

She looked up. She had big blue eyes; a lot of people say they could see right through you. She had long, dark hair and a smooth complexion. She was graduating high school this year. Over those few years her life had changed dramatically, no one would have known her sophomore year she had become an alcoholic. Her family kicked her out of the house and she was left to fend for herself. She had managed this far. Sometimes she didn’t even know how she had.

It was only a few nights ago she had gone home to see her little sister. Her parents wouldn’t even let her come in the door and turned her away. She had fought back all the tears until she got back to her cold and dark apartment. She sunk down onto the floor right there and cried. She knew no one would hear her, even if they did it’s not like they would care. She got up and made her way to the cabinet. Deep down she knew this had been the start of all her problems. Was this really what she wanted? She couldn’t even see the one she loved the most because of a stupid decision she had made two years ago.

She took out a bottle; one more time. Just to erase the pain. She looked at it and saw everything it had caused she finally realized how lost she really was. She threw the bottle against the wall and it shattered. She didn’t even look back as she walked out of her apartment.

“Baillie,” her friends looked concerned now. “Are you going?”

“No.”

Schubster said...
on Aug. 18 2009 at 3:13 am
woah, third alcoholic-related fiction piece i've read in the past half hour......sad, but a good piece. :)

unearthlyhaphazard GOLD, N/A, New York

"There are three rules for writing the novel. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."~W. Somerset Maugham

It's short, but it tells a lot. It's about consequences, about making the right decisions, and ultimately, about life. Keep writing!

Lostinbooks said...
on Aug. 17 2009 at 4:22 am
Lostinbooks, Arcadia, California
Very quick. Nice portrayal of a life changing descison!