IN MY MIND..... | Teen Ink

IN MY MIND.....

August 11, 2009
By Anonymous

It’s the 5th anniversary of your death, and yet I still haven’t gotten over you. I sit in your favorite chair, wearing your shirt contemplating. Lost in thoughts of what use to be and surrounded by the vast emptiness of memories being washed away. Tears falling down my face, I suddenly hear a noise. Startled, my heart racing I turn…..and freeze. I remember those shoes….the shoes that incited fear up my spine with each lonely squeak upon the floor. I remember those jeans….the ones with the tear on the side and paint stains from our affair. I remember that shirt…..the shirt we always fought over. Those hands, so slim and elegant, connected to a body that’s longing to be held. Connected to a face I know must watch me now. Scared, dreading yet knowing what’s coming I look up and realize…..its me…staring back at me is my own reflection. Wearing the clothes of memories washed away of moments that will never happen again.

The author's comments:
IT'S ABOUT A WOMAN WHOSE HUSBAND DIED. HE'S BEEN DEAD FOR 5YRS NOW AND YET SHE STILL MOURNS FOR HIM.SHE TRIES TO RESURRECT HIS IMAGE BY PUTTING ON HIS CLOTHES AND FOR A MOMENT ALMOST BELIEVES ITS HIM SHE'S SEEING IN THE MIRROR.WHEN SHE REALIZES IT'S JUST HER, IT FINALLY HITS HER THAT SHE WILL NEVER EXPERIENCE THOSE MOMENTS OF LIFE AGAIN.