Confessions | Teen Ink

Confessions

July 9, 2009
By jennifer D. BRONZE, Marshfield, Massachusetts
jennifer D. BRONZE, Marshfield, Massachusetts
3 articles 0 photos 2 comments

“How Katy!” Andrew shouted. “Tell me, how the hell am i supposed to tell my father I'm gay!” His eyes started to fill with tears. My eyes did the same.


“Andrew, you can't keep living like this. Look at you...you obviously need your parents to know about this. To understand.”


“Like my father would ever understand.” Andrew spat. He slumped down the dirty brick wall, sitting down on the cement floor of the grimy alley. I followed suit, not caring that my expensive silk shirt was ruined.


“You'll never know if you don't try.” I murmured, holding his hand between us.


“I can't try.” His voice cracked. He was seconds away from tearing up again. “I'm scared.”


I just sat their, staring at him. Andrew was my best friend, he had been since we were 7. After high school i had suspected he was homosexual, but i knew i had to wait for him to come to the same conclusion. Now that he had, i was going to be there for him. He needed me now more than ever.


“Andrew,” I whispered. He turned to look at me. “You'll never be happy until you tell your family this. You can't hide from your father. This is the real you, you shouldn't be scared of showing it.”


Andrew stared at me longer, then turned and sighed. “Your right. But the only problem is...what-what if my father doesn't love me after i tell him.” Andrew started to cry.


I brushed one of his tears off his face. “Then you will always be the bigger person. If your father actually becomes that cruel, he is not a wise man at all.” I felt like this wasn't enough. I crawled onto my knees so we were face to face. “And,” I smiled. “You will always have me. Don't forget that blood may be thicker than water, but friendship, is thicker than both.”


This made Andrew laugh. “You got that off of 'The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants'!”


“It's the thought that counts!”


We sat there smiling at eachother before I stood up and grabbed Andrew's hand, pulling him up as well. We started walking out of the dirty alley and back out into the streets of Boston.


“Katy?


“Ya.” I smiled turning to him. The lights of Boston always made me so excited and happy.


“Thanks. I'll talk to my parents tomorrow morning.”


I stopped walking and smiled. “Just remember you won't be alone. I'll be there for you every step of the way.”