You Finally Saw Me

I see you every day, sitting alone at your own table and eating silently by yourself. My friends all snicker and jeer when they see you, but I don’t join them. The only thing I see is-you.

You don’t think you’re beautiful and you hang your head in shame when people criticize you. Truly you don’t believe them, do you?
Your sparkly eyes -one green and the other blue, the most unique thing about you- reveal so many of your thoughts. I am so thankful for your eyes being the window to your soul for I would never be able to see past your mask, the mask that hides your true self, your beautiful self.

The other day you tripped and fell, your papers scattering across the aisle. As always, people laughed and didn’t help, but I did. I picked up some of your papers and offered my hand to help you up, but you never looked up and never saw my hand. You never noticed that I was there, so I left the papers in a pile beside you.
Now I see you, as you pick at your food at your table, by yourself. You seem preoccupied and interested in stabbing your meat patty, but if you would only look up, do you know what you would see? You would see a loving smile cross my face as I would gaze into your mismatched eyes. Since you do not notice me, I decide to stare at your masked face. On usual days you wear your face as one who does not need anyone, as one who is untouchable and not hurt by any of the things that people say about you. But I know better, I can see it in your eyes, your true pain and sorrow that is entwined with your true beauty. Beneath that mask you are hurt, broken, wounded, wishing for prince charming to walk into your life and make it all better, but you already know that life is not a fairytale.
Then a wonderful smile spreads across my face when I notice something. A year ago I had given you a necklace, I thought it had been very pretty and had bought it, just for you. It was a glass teardrop with all of the colors of the rainbow spider webbed around it and in the very middle sat a tiny diamond. I had never seen you wear it before, but I remember your face when you first saw it in your locker where I had left it for you. The walls around your heart had tumbled down for just a moment and I had seen the real you as you gripped the necklace in your hand, your face had spread into a bright smile. Now you wear it, a token of my love, for the first time.
The bell rang and my attention was drawn away. It was time for classes once again, but I would see you again and soon.
The final bell rang for release. I rushed into the hall, my locker was just across yours and I waited at mine. But you didn’t show up and so I left, hoping to catch sight of you somewhere else. Then I saw you, outside the entrance of the high school. You were surrounded by my friends and other students and they were all laughing at you. Your face was tearstained and your palms scratched and bleeding. Scattered all around you were your books and loose papers. No one offered to help, no one moved towards you, they only laughed in a mocking way, but I didn’t, not when I saw that your bleeding hands gripped the necklace I had given you. Then I knew the time was right. Your mask had fallen off and your hurt expression tore through my heart. I sped towards you and shoved some of my friends out of the way. Bending down on one knee, I smoothed the tears off of your face with my thumb. And then the most miraculous thing in my life happened-you looked up and you saw me.

yourlove-mywingsThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
May 8, 2013 at 2:12 pm:
this is really good!!! i love it... good job

Angie4real said...
I love it. I even felt like crying when I read this and since I never cry nor feel like to, that is quite an accomplishment :)

Hope_PrincessThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
Sept. 3, 2009 at 5:11 pm :
You have no idea how good your comment made me feel!
Thanks so much for all of your comments and I'll be sure to check out your new works very soon.
Keep up the great work!

GoldenGirl This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
That was so beautiful! Wow, you are such a great writer! You write stuff that people actually want to read, and it's great! Be kind to the world and don't stop writing!

moon_singer21 said...
I love this story!!! It is so touching! I have to agree with SilverDawn, it's all Awesome!!! Keep up the great work! 5 stars!

SilverDawn said...
I love this too! your descriptions, imagery, wording.. all awesome! keep it up (:

distant_dreamer said...
I love it so much! Can't stop reading it!