I Just Am | Teen Ink

I Just Am

December 18, 2023
By Anonymous

“Beep beep. Beep beep. Beep be-” *slam


I retract my hand almost instantly feeling the burn on my palm from my all too entirely abusive smack on my alarm clock. As my eyes adjust to the light seeping through my sheer curtains, I brush the hair stuck to my face off and sit up. Doing one big stretch I roll out of bed as my stomach and brain scream for coffee in unison. Despite their tempting, I walk into my bathroom and begin to brush my teeth. *explosion noise*


As I whirl my head to the right after hearing an obscenely loud sound; even in the heart of new york, I spot a strange gray smoke outside. I walk towards the window and when I see it my toothbrush falls on the floor to my disbelief. A huge red mass paints the sky a golden orange and even being 5 stories up; I could still hear the cries of pedestrians on their early morning commute from below. I run back into my room, toothpaste just sitting in my mouth as I scroll on my phone, looking for an answer that will make this all okay. A rocket ship testing… or OR  an action movie shoot. Yet instead I find an all to disturbing news report with ego-filled reporters screaming saying we are all going to die-. And then the news report stops. Of course it does. Of course the world is about to end with me on it. Honestly when my mom passed last week I thought she was leaving far a reason. It was because she, unlike myself, is the luckiest person I knew and she decided that then was better than knowing that she was gonna die. 


I suddenly don't know how to feel. I unplug my phone from the charger and stand up from the ground I didn't even know I was sitting on. I walk to the bathroom and spit my toothpaste out; now half accidentally swallowed. “Huh.” That's all I say. No one tells what to do in this situation. No one teaches you what you should do when the world is gonna blow up. So I decided the best thing to do is nothing. I turn on the faucet and don't even take off my clothes as the seering water makes rivers that run down my arms. I just stand there. I dont move. I don't think. I just am.


The author's comments:

This is a short story I made about waking up to the world ending and how in reality, I wouldn't know what to do.