Wrong Truth | Teen Ink

Wrong Truth

By becca-eh BRONZE, San Diego, California
becca-eh BRONZE, San Diego, California

At age 4 I saw my father putting a red present with a large white bow under the Christmas tree. When unwrapping presents, I saw that one was marked with a sticker saying “from Santa”. I put two and two together and asked my father why Santa was not the one who put my gift under the tree. He explained that Santa put my gift under the baby tree we keep outside rather than the inside tree where the gift should have been. He was helping Santa out, moving the gifts to where we could open them as a family. 

I lost my first tooth at age 5. The tooth fairy wrote me a note with my money, saying congrats on the first tooth. The note was signed “Sage”. As I continued to lose my teeth I only got money, until I lost my first molar at age 8 yet the note was signed “Amanda”. I asked my mother what happened to Sage. She explained that since I was now losing molars, there was a different fairy who was strong enough to carry big teeth. I pocketed the money and moved on. 

My mom had been making me magical pink pancakes ever since I was 2. She always said they were made with a special ingredient, fairy food. One morning, at age 7, I watched her peel a beet and place it into a blender with a tan-colored liquid. I asked what the heck that nasty beet was doing near my pancake batter. She calmly responded that she was making a different recipe, one for her and my father. I walked away thankful I was not going to be confronted with the nasty beet. 

I got my wisdom teeth out at 17 and the doctor let me keep them. I placed them under my pillow like I had with every tooth prior. As I did so, my mother walked over to where I was standing. She asked me what I was doing with those teeth under my pillow. I told her they were going there for Amanda to pick up in exchange for some money. My mom was shocked and instantly blurted out “you still believe in all that?” 

So you mean to tell me this was all a lie? My parents who preached truth, honesty, and communication? The ones who are to act like role models, like example humans? They lied to me?