Last Night | Teen Ink

Last Night

December 11, 2023
By LinkiMochi PLATINUM, Austin, Texas
LinkiMochi PLATINUM, Austin, Texas
20 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Last night, she saved a woman.


The woman was extremely pale. Her face was a flash that was created in the Winter rain. Her hair was not messy, but instead, long and smooth. Brightness shone upon her dark brown hair, and her hair reflected off the wind. Her face was round; her eyes were big and black. She wore a long white dress that surrounded her skinny legs. Her eyes were closed tightly, and she was laying on the cold stone ground.


Silence.


She walked toward the strange woman and carefully placed her right hand on the woman’s face. Her face was cold…… ‘It’s like she’s dead.’ Spring thought and took out her phone. She was ready to call the ambulance and let it pick the woman up.


A noise.


She froze and put her phone back into her pocket.


The slightest noise.


The noise was from…….


From the woman.


The young girl rose slowly while looking at the woman beneath her. She noticed that her fingers began to move and her eyelids were trying to open by themselves. She touched her again and the woman’s eyes flashed open suddenly.


“AHH!”


She shouted and tried to run away, but the woman grabbed her hand harshly, not letting her go even when she used her whole body to turn around and run.


“No…… Don’t……. June.”


June stopped struggling as soon as she heard her name. How can this woman know her name? She doesn’t even know her, you know what, she doesn’t even recognize this woman’s face!


“What? Are you sure you are fine? Do you need me to call an ambulance? I can call 911 right away if you’d like, I---”


“No, stop talking. I’m fine. Stay.”


“Ok.”


Then they sat in silence for a while before June spoke up again.


“Who are you?” She looked at the unknown woman. Those eyes are indeed very pretty, but they look exhausted.


“I…… Don’t have much time. But how are you doing, June?” She stared straight at a car, her eyes following the car until it’s out of sight. 


June didn’t want to answer her question at first, she wanted to know who she was. But she opened her mouth and closed it again, then reopened her mouth to answer her question.


“I, I don’t know, I guess, I’m ok I guess. I’m just all by myself.”


The woman turned her body gently: “Do you recognise me?”


“I don’t think I do, but you do look familiar. I mean, have we met somewhere before?”


The woman blanked her eyes slowly and replied: “I’m your mother’s friend. I’ve never heard of her since last year, I arrived to this city yesterday and wanted to reunite with her, but she wasn’t at home. I guess I just don’t have any luck.”


June’s voice started shaking, “Oh, you have no idea what happened to her.”


“I know. I found out this morning. I was panicking and crying and bawling my eyes out, that’s why I was hit by a car, right here, 5 minutes ago.”

“And where’s the driver that hitted you?”


“He ran away. I don’t got good luck, I’m telling you, June.”


June shook her head and looked at the woman: “No, at least you are still alive.”


“I carried you when you were little. Sad that you don’t remember me. You look exactly the same when you were three, that’s how I recongnised you.”

 

June thought the woman’s dress was weird. It’s becoming more and more flowy, or is it because of the wind?

“Well, yeah. You look…… tired, from the trip, I suppose. Where did you come from?”

“North Carolina.”

“That’s, wow, really really far away. Just for my mother? You must be really great friends then. Sad that my mom never told me about you.”

“No. I came just for you, June.”

June paused and looked confused for a second: “For me? Why?”

The woman’s hair is becoming flowy as well.

“As soon as I heard the news, I ran through the entire town, just to find you. Your mother would’ve said for me to take care of you.”

 

“Oh.”

Her face is paler.

June furrowed her eyebrows: “Ummmm…… Would you like to go inside? It’s too cold outside, we can have a tea or something.”

“I’d love too. But I reckon I don’t have much time left.”

“Why?”

“I promised my friends in North Carolina last night that I would go back today.”

“Oh, then, may I have your, ummm, name, and contact information? We can keep in touch. I can also give you the cemetery address, if you want to go and look at my mom before you leave.”


The woman looks like she’s even to the point of becoming transparent: “I’m sorry.”


The voice rang in the girl’s head and she looked into the woman’s eyes.


She saw something……. She saw her mother, her father, and her, about 3 or 4 years old, all in a white hospital room. She saw her mother laying on the white bed, breathless and worn out because of the illness. She saw her father hugging her mother tightly and sobbing and screaming. She saw her dying.


“I’m so sorry, June, for leaving you early.”


Her mom’s face was melting, revealing her real features. At the same time, she became completely transparent.


“No!”


She tried to hug her mom.

 

She cried through the night.

 

Winter is not a perfect season. Cold, harsh, and always someone passing away, leaving all their precious behind, and so her name is June.


Last night, a woman saved her.


The author's comments:

Short story