The Truth | Teen Ink

The Truth

Alice sat down at the bar and ordered a drink. She ran her fingers through her hair and buried her head in her hands. She took a deep breath and let out a long exhale. She closed her eyes and wished to start the day over again. Just as she was about to take a sip of her drink, she felt a hand on her shoulder.

“Crystal, I’ve been looking for you everywhere.” Alice could smell the strong scent of alcohol coming from the stumbling, slurred-word man.

“My name is not Crystal, I don’t know you…”

“Don’t do this to me, I really need to talk to you.” The stranger fumbled his way onto the stool next to Alice. Alice was frustrated. This was not what she needed. After a long day at work, she did not want to be talking to some drunken man that thought that she was someone else.

“Listen, honey, the truth is,” Alice found it hard to understand him. His words all blended together. “The truth is, I can’t be with you anymore. I just don’t love you.” Alice chuckled. This poor man was so confused. Alice gulped down the last sip of her drink and without saying a word, got up.

“Where are you going?” The man shouted. Alice continued to walk out of the bar, hoping that the man would just leave her alone. She began to walk faster, but so did the man.

“Get back here, I’m not finished yet.” Alice started to run towards her car.

“I’m not Crystal, I’m Alice! Leave me alone!” Alice flung open her car door and threw herself in. She quickly pressed the button to lock the door and inserted the key into the ignition. She turned the key and started the car. Suddenly, the man jumped onto the hood of the car and began pounding on the clean, expensive car. In a state of panic, Alice searched for her phone. Just her luck; the battery was dead. A tear fell from Alice’s eyes. How would she ever get out of this?