The Shadow | Teen Ink

The Shadow

September 8, 2023
By MakayllaTalavera BRONZE, Houston, Texas
MakayllaTalavera BRONZE, Houston, Texas
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
Nothing last forever.


It was 1992, a Friday after school, and just like any other Friday the crew went to the park. Except this Friday felt different, it was going to be a full moon and the last day before winter break. The ‘crew’ consisted of six teens, Nevaeh, Maria, Mariana, Erick, Ricardo and Noel. All juniors in highschool. 

Every Friday Nevaeh had to go to work in the evening at the local convenience store around the corner called Sunny’s. She had been working at Sunny’s while going to school since the beginning of freshman year. Every Friday she had to work the closing shift, at the end of her shift she was in charge of throwing the trash out. Having to go outside at night by herself was never a big deal to her. When Nevaeh walked out the door she heard a rattle coming from the nearby bush but she did not think much of it since there’s always raccoons by the trash. She opened the trash can and there it was, the body of the nefarious school bully Andrew. 

Andrew’s body laid in the bin with stab wounds, scratches, and blood everywhere. Nevaeh froze in surprise and dropped the trash bag. A few seconds went by and Nevaeh came back to reality, she picked up the trash she dropped. Then she laid her hand on Andrew’s forehead. It was still warm meaning, he wasn’t killed long ago. Nevaeh laid the trash bag on the body and rolled the bin to the side of the store. Still stunned, she gathered her things and headed home. Hoping this was all a chimera. Nevaeh hopped in the shower and went straight to bed. 

 The next morning Nevaeh woke up bright and early and headed to the police station. She decided to report the body to the police. She walked in and walked right on in straight to the front desk. The elderly lady working the front desk had gray pantsuits on and a bright pink lipstick next to her sat a jar of yellow hard candy. Her name tag read “Martha.” “How can I help you?” said Martha. “Can I file a report?” said Nevaeh. “Sure,” responded Martha, "You can fill out this paper and we will contact you as soon as we can. Our estimated wait time right now is thirty to ninety days.” Nevaeh said “ THIRTY TO NINETY DAYS? It’s about a murder!” Martha laughed then ignorantly said “Sure it is sweetie, here is the form.” Nevaeh stormed out of the police station with smoke coming out her ears. Nevaeh thought to herself  “How could they disregard this? Do they not believe me? What do I do now?” 

Nevaeh sent out a message to her crew and asked them to meet her at their favorite diner by the park. By the time Nevaeh arrived everyone was already sitting at their usual area in the corner booth. Nevaeh couldn’t hold it any more as soon as she sat down she blurted out “Andrew is dead.” Everyone laughed, except for Erik. In between laughs Ricardo said  “There’s no way if anything Andrew would kill before he got the chance to be killed.”  After everyone stopped laughing Nevaeh said “ No really follow me I’ll show you.” Everyone followed Nevaeh to the local store where she walked them to the side of the building. She opened the lid to the trash can and said “Look.” Maria was the first one to look, slowly as everyone took a look, their jaw’s began to drop. Everyone was in disbelief. No one could believe it. “I already went to the police station and they said it would take thirty to ninety days for my report to go through. If the police won’t do anything about it we have to.” Noel then said “ Let’s just go home this isn’t our problem he deserves it for always being rude.” No matter how much Nevaeh pleaded no one listened to her and everyone walked away, Nevaeh then decided to let it go. 

It was Sunday morning, the local news station was playing in almost every home, like any typical Sunday morning. A red and white sign flashed on the screen that read “BREAKING NEWS!” The local news reporter pops up on the screen standing outside a landfill. He was interviewing a garbage collector. On the right corner there was a picture of Andrew. And under that a mug shot of Noel. The bottom of the screen read “Local Highschoolar Andrew was murdered by classmate Noel.” Nevaeh was stunned. Her phone rang. It was a message from her group chat asking if they watched the news and telling them to be at the dinner in fifteen minutes. 

Since it was Sunday the diner was closed but, Mariana’s family owns it she took the keys from her parents room and was able to let everyone in. As soon as they walked in everyone was in utter disbelief. Never in a million years would anyone have guessed that their bestfriend was a murderer. After everyone settled down Mariana turned on the news station to see if there were any updates. This time there was a different reporter on the screen. The sign behind her read “County Jail.” “If anyone has any information or has seen Noel call the number on the screen,” said the reporter.  Has Noel escaped from jail? The crew looked at each other confused. All of a sudden The Television turns off and all the lights go out. They heard a door close. “Who’s here?” called out Mariana. A shadowy figure walked out the storage room laughing and holding a knife. The figure kept walking to the table. “I’m back.” the figure said. The window lights were very dim but sufficient enough for them to distinguish the figure. It was Noel.