A New Morning | Teen Ink

A New Morning

October 3, 2022
By Author3946 GOLD, Hartland, Wisconsin
Author3946 GOLD, Hartland, Wisconsin
12 articles 0 photos 0 comments

The sun begins to rise over glistening grass covered with the morning dew. A small brooke bubbles softly in the distance with fish swimming silently through the shining waters. An eagle soars gracefully through the wind looking down and the fish. A band of wild horses runs together through the plains which are dusted with morning fog. On the edge of the nearby forest a deer and its fawn standing in the dusk of the morning. Deeper into the forest a mother wolf teaches her young to hunt.

 The eagle cried out before swooping down, snatching a fish between its talons. The fish dangled lifelessly in the talons. The eagle settled in its nest laying the fish in front of three eagle chicks begging for food. 

The night had just about died when the mother deer walked slowly out into the field, her fawn staying put. The mother looks back and signals to her young that the field was safe. She watches as the young deer pranced about the tall grasses. The young wolf watches the fawn with hungry eyes. The pup follows his mother’s lead and began creeping closer to the edge of the forest. The young wolf could feel dead leaves and twigs brush gently against his underbelly. His eyes focused on his target. A small twig snaps under his paw.

The mother deer’s head shot up, her ears alert. The fawn froze in place as its mother looked intently at the forest’s edge. She could hear the rustling of grass softly coming from the forest. The fawn took shelter between its mother's legs, cowering in the tall grass. A wolf and her pup leaped from the forest. Their eyes were hungry as they ran to the deers. The mother deer sprung from her place in the field running to the coverage of the forest. She looked back for her young who was following closely behind her. However, the wolves were inches away from her fawn. The mother deer knew her fawn's life had just begun. She fell back drawing the wolf’s attention to her and away from her fawn. Sharp pain closed in around her leg.  She looked over at her young. The fawn hind in the bushes near a small stream, awaiting her mother’s return. She never came. 

A new morning began a year later. Fish fell over small falls in the brooke as they swam upstream. Three eagles soar high above the trees. A mother deer watched her two young fawns dance in the field of tall grass. A strong wolf leads his pack. A new morning has begun.