Diary of Grapes of Wrath | Teen Ink

Diary of Grapes of Wrath

By Mayra Acosta BRONZE, Imperial, Nebraska
Mayra Acosta BRONZE, Imperial, Nebraska

I am granma writing in this journal as I feel this is the only way to get my thoughts out in the open without having someone judg’n the way I feel about leaving dis’ land of mine and going to California. I am afraid of leavin’ and never coming back to the place that I called ma home for many years, its just so darn said to leave behind all of the great ol’ memories on that land, the kids and grandchildren growing up, watching my husband grow older and older with me each day. As I write in this journal on this bumpy ride, I start to ponder how things would be if I hadn’t had the courage to leave. I am sad that I didn’t get to say all of these things to my family, I know it probably would’ve just mad things worse for all of us. I know that grampa felt the same, the look on this face said it all. We just had a lot to hold onto, and I don’t believe I was ready to leave quite yet, I was hopn’ I would on that land along with that husband of mine. The only place in the world that grampa would’ve wanted to get buried would be that land, but no looking back now, I guess It’s a new beginnin’ for all of us. As I hurt to say all of this in the end I do believe that all of this happened for a reason, and I am hopn’ for the best in the new land of California, to overcome all of our worries in this new land, but my land will always be my land.

This is an assignment we had to do, I choose to write as if i was the character writing in a journal.