Listening In | Teen Ink

Listening In

By Katie Keane BRONZE, Grand Rapids, Michigan
Katie Keane BRONZE, Grand Rapids, Michigan

“You in?” the old, rusty sounding voice asked.
“Oh yeah,” the other grumbly, scratchy voice answered.
I couldn’t believe what I had just heard. I was taking my golden retriever for a walk, and I heard two voices in an alley talking. I heard the name Katie, and that’s what stopped me in my tracks. My name is Katie, and so I listened. It sounded like two men, maybe more, and they were talking about how my life was going to end. They were going to sneak in my window, murder me, and I heard the exact plans for it. Why would they want to kill me? When it sounded like they were finishing up, I bolted out of there in case they wanted to get it over with. When I got home, I told my mom the story and locked my window. That night nothing happened. The next day I went back to the same alley, at the same time and heard the same two men talking. I did this because I wasn’t sure that these people were after me. It could be any Katie, so I talked myself into it. I heard exactly what I had heard the day before. They said, “You in?”
“Oh yeah.”
“So we will go to her house tonight and sneak in through the window. We will kill and leave. No one will know.”
“Ok.”
This time I didn’t chicken out, I barged right into the alleyway and said, “Who do you think you are, killing an innocent little girl?”
Then I realized that no one was there, and I was talking to myself. I saw a red, concrete, hard door that was cracked open. I went to it and peeked inside. There were bright lights, a stage, and two men talking on it. I listened to the play for a few minutes and suddenly realized that it was my favorite play. One of the actors played a girl named Katie but it was a 50 year old story. I could not believe it. What I thought was a plan to kill me, turned out to be a script from a play. I laughed all the way home, told my mom and unlocked my window.

kktango said...
Thanks for the comments!

oliviab said...
I really liked it! Great story Katie! I liked the plot

I loved the story, and the ironic ending! It made it really fun to read when you used your own name. I thought the ending was realy clever and I enjoyed the story as a whole. Do you really have a favorite play were the main character's name is Katie!?!

salswamp said...
Cool plot! Loved the ending. Sounds like a basic storyline that could even be turned into a novel! Or a play! Or a Movie! Basically, great job!!!

emmav said...
great story Katie. i liked the surprise ending. You really sounded like you.(if that makes any sense!!)