Bye, Bye, Grandmother | Teen Ink

Bye, Bye, Grandmother

May 10, 2009
By Anjel SILVER, Centralia, Washington
Anjel SILVER, Centralia, Washington
6 articles 0 photos 0 comments

The rain came crashing down in the little town of PeEll. You could hear the wind howl, like a wild wolf up high in the mountains.

It was finally spring and all the residents knew that the spring storm would bring trouble. Adults went to the store to stock up on supplies while the children stayed home safe.


The town was small, and everyone knew everyone. Sometimes it seemed like they were one big happy family. And when the spring storm came sliding through town, that’s when you really see everyone come together. Neighbors help with supplies. They share food, blankets, and power supplies. Little kids share their toys with the other small children. The teenagers either help out the adults or try to handle the younger kids.

Up on a small hill, looking out her window stood, Trinity. She watched as the patches of people ran here and there for supplies.

Trinity is a sixteen year old sophomore down at the little public school. She is shy, but very mature girl. Beautiful features just like her mamma when she was alive, she has the long curly black hair, light blue eyes, slim, and she is the only girl in town who has a crescent moon on her forehead. She didn’t mind the crescent moon. Her grandmother always told her she will always stand out from other people.

After Trinity’s mamma died with cancer, she moved in with her grandmother since no one knew where her father was. Trinity always thought of her grandmother as a best friend. She tells her everything about anything. But now she will be losing her best friend soon. Her grandmother was very ill and her time was coming to an end. She will loose her only best friend and move to, California with her aunt.

Trinity picked up the candle from the side desk and walked into her grandmothers’ bedroom when the lights went out, grandmother decided to take a little nap.

She leaned against the door frame and watched her grandmother sleep. She didn’t know if she would survive without her. She remembered when she was a little girl; her grandmother would always brush her hair, and sing to her during the spring storm. It always felt safe.

She jumped as she heard a knock on the door. She wondered who would be at the door during the rush of the spring storm. She set the candle on the table and answered the door. Standing there was her aunt.

“Trinity, you look just like your mamma.” Trinity’s eyes grew wide.
“Auntie Ann?” Her aunt nodded and walked in and gave her sisters’ daughter a tight hug.

“What are you doing here?” Trinity asked having no idea, and she was scared to even know.

“Your grandmother called me up and told me it was time for me to come here,” Auntie Ann answered looking around at the flickering living room, that only held light from the candles. Trinity’s eyes grew hot. She could feel the burning from the hot tears she was holding back, she knew now why her aunt was here. She was planning on taking her back to, California. Grandmother was dying.

“I don’t want to leave. I lived here all my life.” Auntie Ann gave her niece a small smile and nodded. “Why are you making me leave my home?”

Auntie Ann searched Trinity’s eyes, “Sweetie what gave you that idea?” Trinity didn’t understand the question. She didn’t know what her aunt was trying to get at. “I’ll explain after checking on your grandmother.” And then she left the room, leaving Trinity alone to think.

After Auntie Ann checked on her mother she decided it was time to tell Trinity everything. She knew that her young niece was wondering what will be happening to her.

Auntie Ann walked back into the living room finding Trinity on the floor next to the fire place. She walked quietly over to the couch and sat.

“Trinity I know you are worried about what happens to you when your grandmother dies.” Her aunt waited to continue until Trinity turned to face her, “When your grandmother called me she told me some things that I fully agree on.” Trinity held her breath, she was scared to breathe. She didn’t know what her aunt was going to say next.

“Trinity when your grandmother passes away she is leaving the house to me and everything else to you.” Trinity felt stupid. She didn’t know what her aunt was getting at or if she was just saying mumbo, jumbo. “Are you starting to get what I’m trying to tell you?” asked Auntie Ann, looking at Trinity’s confused face. “Trinity I’m moving into this house when grandmother passes on. You don’t have to leave your home.”

Trinity could feel the tears rush up. She couldn’t believe what she was hearing. She didn’t have to move. She didn’t have to meet new people. Trinity stood and ran to her aunt, hugging her tight. “Thank you, thank you.” Trinity kept on repeating. Trinity pulled away from her aunt and smiled, “I’m going to go tell grandmother.”

Trinity hurried down the long hall to her grandmother’s room and walked to her bed. Something felt different. Trinity stared down at her grandmother and knew. Her grandmother was gone. Trinity felt a tear roll down her cheek. She took her grandmother’s hand in hers and said her good-byes. Her grandmother gave her one last gift before she left. She gave her, her aunt and let her keep her home. Trinity would always remember her grandmother. She would always be her best friend.