The journey | Teen Ink

The journey

December 12, 2019
By Anonymous

“Get over here right now!” mom screams as she pulls me by the back of my shirt.


Tears are a constant stream falling out of my blue eyes down my face. My mother never accepted anything my brother and I did, all she cared about was her 20 year old boyfriends. I never let her be bigger than me, I wouldn't let anything she said get to me. I was always more mature than her. Ever since I was a little girl, I was never good enough for her. She still criticizes me with everything I do. At this point, I am letting this pass because it is a continuous thing.


Soccer practice was two hours away and I still haven't spoke to my mom since the argument. I was sitting in my dark, lonely room listening to my mom converse with her immature boyfriend, Mark. I had piles of homework, but I just stared at it having motivation for soccer only. This was junior year and my life was a wreck. I was ready for my misery to end.


My mom never came in my room. I never went to practice. Immediately, I called the two people who had always been there for me. My grandma and my best friend, Lacy. They took my misery away temporarily. As I was on the phone with my grandma, I started to hear footsteps. They began to sound like they were making their way to my room. My mother hated when I told Gram about the horrible things that went on in this household.


“gram, I have to go, Mom is coming.”


As the phone call ended, my mom bolted into my bedroom. “What do you think you are doing?” she yelled.


I was tired of all of my moms nonsense, so I pushed past her and ran out of the house. I made sure to grab my phone so I could call Lacy.


“Hello? Are you okay?” she asked.


“No, I need you to come pick me up.”


The phone call ended and I knew she would rush to me. Five minutes passed and I saw her silver car turn the corner. I ran over to her, got in the car and gave her the biggest hug possible. Lacy always let me cry on her shoulder. 


“What happened?”


I then began to explain all of the commotion that was going on. I expressed very clearly that I was not going back home. She took me to her house and assured me that everything was going to be alright.


When we got inside, I sprinted to her mother, hugging her as if I was part of their family.


“May I talk to you privately?” I asked her mom.


We went into her bedroom and as I was explaining my life to her, she had tears rolling down her face. When I was with Lacy’s mom, I felt at ease she was the mother I always wished my mom to be.


“This is a very serious question… would you like to move in here?”


I instantly started crying continuously thanking her for everything she had done for me. I knew this was my chance to change my life, but I was worried about what my mother would do.


After I got the offer, I called my grandma. Surprisingly, she was very supportive. Keeping in my emotions was my biggest struggle. Our families talked about the plan to when the big move was going to take place. We had school the next day, so I just stayed at their house, in hopes that my mom wouldn't question where I was.


The school say went perfectly compared to when I stayed with my mom. I had a perky smile on my face and held my head up high.


After school, I returned to Lacy’s house to see all of my personal belongings moved into my new room. Grandma was sitting on the couch and I ran to thank her for being so wonderful to me.


I had never felt this type of joy in my entire life. I was so excited to be living with my best friend and finally be living a normal life.


The author's comments:

I wrote this piece in relations to my best friend. This is a true story but it is changed up a bit.