Honey | Teen Ink

Honey

Today is the day I get out of juvie. Being out of that negative environment felt great. I was there was because I was hanging out with my dance crew spray painting walls and buses. But, of course everyone ran and I was left behind to deal with the consequences. It wasn’t so bad it was only for the night.

My dad passed when I was young and my mom has been taking care of her business out of town. I have been thinking about my mom a lot because I miss her. The moment I was released I called my mom. “Hey mom” I said. She replied “hey my love”As we were on the phone, she told me that no one is perfect and that we are all going to make mistakes.

She wasn’t even mad that I was hanging with my dance crew and the situation wasn’t that big of a deal. She’s was more mad that they or should I say my “friends” had left me. 

My mom left me here with my godmother because she didn't want me to leave behind all my friends and she felt I had a purpose in my hometown. My step mom owned the honey daniels dance center. The honey dance center is a big dance room painted white.

It reminds me of the movie frozen with all the ice. I can see through the mirrors. Her daughter build and grew the honey daniels dance center and she wants me to continue her daughters legacy after she retired. Since her daughter was a dancer she has always encouraged my dancing and make the right decisions. My discipline was to just keep up the honey daniels dance center I swept, wiped down mirrors, and organized her desk. 

It really wasn't a discipline it was something for her to do to keep me out of trouble. She also gave me a curfew at 9:00 and I couldn't hang out with my old crew but I knew she didn’t really care about me out late it was the decisions I made that got me in this situation. I told her she didn’t have to worry about me hanging out with my old crew because they ditched me a while back. She asked me to start thinking about my future and take dancing to another level. I told her I have to get a real job dancing can’t get me money. 

Later on that day I went to Mr.Kapoor's corner grocery to see if I can get my old job back. At first he was saying no and that he didn’t trust me but after i caught a young girl stealing he took me into consideration. Maria you are a bright girl I just want you to make the right decision he said . Mr. Kapoor you know how much it means to me getting this job back I said. He had told me maybe he could use my help around the store. 

I replied with the biggest smile ever I promise I won't mess this up. He had asked could I start today I told him yes. My shift had ended at 9:00 I headed back to the dance studio to finish cleaning. While cleaning I got caught up dancing the old me was finally back. I heard clapping from behind I turned around it was Louis. 

Louis was the leader of my old dance crew known for selling drugs, fighting and being on other people's property. How did you get in here i said. 

Maria you know how. Why don’t you think about joining the old crew louis said. I told him no thanks I have better things going for myself after yall ditched me. You knew if I got caught I wouldve did real time you only got a night louis said. Please see your way out the door maria said. He left out the back door. 

Next day doing community service at the dance center my attention drew towards a dance crew. Then I noticed a girl dancing who stole at Mr.Kapoor’s grocery store. I walked towards her interrupting their dance session and told her she should pay for the bracelet or return it. The reason I did this because I didn’t want her to make the same mistakes I did. I left and went back to cleaning. 

A week later that dance crew that I interrupted I ended up joining. We did all types a dance and different techniques. After practice that day we saw a flyer saying there will be a dance battle competition at the end of this month called “dance or die”. We took the competition into consideration and auditioned. All the practicing a failing to get rite back up we made it to the final step which was to be in the dance competition. 

This meant that we are going against the 718 which was Louis crew well my old crew. Now that we are getting ready to go against my old crew I see my mom, Mr.kapoor, and my step mom in the stands. Dancing with my new crew I had joined felt great to me they were no trouble makers. My dance crew has made it to the finals. This was no time to be shy this is my moment to shine with every step, twist, and turn.

We made are dances into three types of techniques which was ballet, ballroom and hip hop dancing. This was the spice to our choreography that we had kept a secret until the dance battle has begun.  After sweating, working hard, practicing everyday we beat the 718. This was the best day of my life I figured out the thrill of dancing. I also found out who I am and where I belong. The end. 

This is about a girl name Maria who overcomes who she is.