The Boy in the Corner | Teen Ink

The Boy in the Corner

By HPullen92 BRONZE, Amissville, Virginia
HPullen92 BRONZE, Amissville, Virginia

A young man, no older than 16. His name is will. He was just sitting there, sitting there quietly minding his own business. Trying to break through his loud surroundings to concentrate on the lady talking. His messy brown hair still distracting as usual. But after class, we bumped into each other in the hallway. It was a complete and utter accident. Yeah, I've seen him around and I've daydreamt about him but I never would've had the guts to talk to him. Until that day apparently. When he bumped into me, our books and papers collided in the air and went everywhere. He stayed and helped me pick them all up even after the bell had rung saying you were late. We both reached for the same book, it was smooth yet cold at the same time. Our hands touched, I pulled away instantly. But he didn't, he didn't even hesitate he just looked up and winked at me. When we stood up I looked up at him. He looked a bit confused but also nervous at the same time. Then he spits it out “ Did you maybe want to go to the football game with me tomorrow night?” he stuttered. I just stood there. I didn't know what to say or how to respond. The guy I've liked since the 7th grade just asked me to go to a football game with him. Then I slowly said “.. I'd love to” with my face beat red. I could feel the heat from my cheeks coming to life, the butterflies in my stomach quarreling. Then I turned around and headed to class. Watching that stupid red second hand on the clock slowly tick, watching as the spider web in the corner of the room fluttered in the faint breeze. It felt like a lifetime for the day to finally be over. But when it was, my heart skipped a beat when that final bell rang saying that the day was finally over. 

I walked slowly towards the football field. Hoping that this all wasn't just a joke. Then I saw him. He was standing there talking to his friend. I doubted that he would notice me or even if he did that he would come up and talk to me. But shockingly enough he did the exact opposite. When he looked up and saw me he ran over to me “ Hey!” he sounded a bit out of breath. “Didn't think you would show?” he said.

“Why wouldn't I? I told you I would ``I said.

“I know I know it's just that we haven't talked much”.

“ Yeah, I guess that's true”.

“Anyhow you ready for this game?!”.

“ as ready as ill ever be,” I said as I sighed.

As we headed closer towards the field I overheard this couple arguing. It was about something really small and dumb. Something about how he parked wrong when they first got to the game. I tried to block them out and focus on Will. Which isn't hard with how he looked. Then he pulled my arm to right. Confused I gave him a look, all he said was “ trust me”. So I did, and I followed him to his car. But when he came to a sudden stop all I could smell was my perfume and his sweat mixing in the air around us. He asked me if I wanted to go get something to eat, I nodded. So we got in his car. I felt like I couldn't breathe like my chest was closing in on my heart and I couldn't open the car door. The car ride was a bit quiet. But when we got to the restaurant we couldn't stop laughing. I laughed at almost every little thing he said and him to what I would say. He drove me home that night. The car ride wasn't as quiet as before thankfully. When we got to my house, he cut the engine. I got out and opened my door. The only thing I remember is thinking “ wow a gentlemen”. He hugged me goodbye and then got back in his car and drove off himself. As I walked upstairs I couldn't believe the night I had just had. It was perfect. 

I had written this piece out of a pure passion for the characters. I had thought about taking it in a different direction. But in the end, I figured I would try something new and have a happy ending.