Reality | Teen Ink

Reality

By RF BRONZE, Cupertino, California
RF BRONZE, Cupertino, California

The windows were closed, filtering out bright light and harsh winds. Looking up from her laptop she blinked, surprised by the sudden darkness. The room around her felt claustrophobic, almost as if it were trapping her. She sat at her desk, all alone, shadows flickering around her.  The clock’s hands above her lingered near seven o’clock. It was sunset, the small wisps of light slipping through the blinds slowly disappeared, and darkness blended with the room, making it hard to see where the floor met the stairs, where the carpet met the tile. Grasping her phone in her hands she made her way across the room, trying to find a charger. Instead, reaching the stairs, she staggered down them, straight into the front door. She opened it cautiously, awaiting the dangers of the outside world. Rather than whipping winds, and bright, blistering light, It was a pleasant surprise, a beautiful day. Waiting for her were two squirrels sitting upon a tree, chattering and gathering acorns, droplets of water glistened on a dewy leaf, colorful leaves drifted off trees, a slight breeze shook the wind chimes, and a magnificent hummingbird seemed to float, its wings struggling to flutter as small drops fell from the sky all around it. The sun’s rays glistened around her, bringing feelings of warmth to her arms. She no longer felt lonesome, as nature surrounded her, giving a sense of life everywhere. This is a moment only my eyes can capture, she thought, before a ringing from her pocket brought her back to reality.

I used the third-person point of view on this and tried to work on description without recycling words, but not over describing either. I also tried to write scenes with how the character was feeling in that place, so I tried to match the setting and mood.