Hidden Secrets | Teen Ink

Hidden Secrets

By tara galleshaw BRONZE, Lancaster, South Carolina
tara galleshaw BRONZE, Lancaster, South Carolina

The sun is shining brightly into my baby blue eyes, my face twisted and distorted as if I was in pain. A lingering shadow is slowly fading into my view more clearly, the shadow’s steps echoing in my head. I can’t seem to get a clear picture of anything, colors fading as I look at them for longer than a second. Everything seems to be lighter and softer. The shadow gets closer still, the face of it more distinguished. Yet, no matter how long I stare into the man’s face, I see only darkness that has fallen over his eyes and cheeks, distorting what I see.
I feel as if I know the man, but I can’t quiet put my finger on it. I feel frightened, confused about what is happening. None of it makes any sense. I can’t quiet figure out where I am or how I got here. I begin to breathe heavier as my steps increase. I need to leave. I find myself running, running as fast as I possibly can. My legs begin to ache. I ignore it and eventually they are numb. I slow down a little and my legs have the tingling sensation that makes me want to keep running. I just have to get away even though I don’t know why.
The shadowed man is right behind me, and no matter how fast I run, he is there. I keep running, my legs pumping in rhythm with my heartbeat. He is right behind me, catching up to my heels as if licking my shoes. As I look back for a split second to see where he is—WHOOF, I am out of breath, my back flat on the ground. I am looking up at the shadowed man hovering right over my face. I think he is looking into my face as well. I swear that I know him, somehow or from somewhere, but I can’t think. I am drowning in fear.
I feel a tingle of heat on my cheek, the heat is slowly moving downwards, onto the tip of my nose. It’s a tear, several tears, rolling down my cheeks like a stream, making my whole face shine a little. The man is so close I feel his breathe on my face; a peculiar smell hugs my nostrils. I squench my eyes shut as tightly as I possibly can. I think I know what he is about to do, and I think I am taking my final breaths. What can I do? I run scenarios through my head of how to get out of this, but everything I think of is flawed. None of my ideas will work, they are just too outrageous. I begin to scream; maybe someone will hear me and come to my rescue. Please, if you can hear my screams, help me!!!

I wake up breathing heavy, gasping for air. My chest is heaving up and down as I try and catch my breath. I am so confused that for a split second I didn’t know where I was. I feel around and recognize that softness and smell of my sheets. I’m in my bed, safe.
It all just seemed so real, but it was just a dream. I could swear that I knew that man, but, I couldn’t really tell. Still breathing heavy I wipe my face, noticing that my eyes were damp. I must have really been crying. It doesn’t surprise me though, I have frequently woken up from nightmares crying and screaming, I’m just glad that my mother didn’t run in questioning me this time.
I don’t know if I would of called that a nightmare or a dream. I woke up with tears on my face and breathing heavily, but I can’t really explain why. It was so peaceful for the most part, but I just freaked out. I can’t really describe it, it’s too difficult.
I tilt my head and glance sideways at the clock; it reads 4:03. Great, 3 more hours until I have to get up for school. I need a good nights sleep. I have a major biology test in the morning. I roll over, clutching onto my pillow and comforter, taking in a whiff for security reasons. I better try and go back to bed.
I close my eyes and slowing begin to drift off. I love that feeling, when your so tired that your eye lids droop, yet you know you can sleep some more. I wouldn’t trade that feeling for anything.
My eyelids begin to droop. Slowly at first, I just want to stay up a few more minutes to clear my head so the dream doesn’t happen again. I just want a few more minutes, but my eyelids just feel so good. I don’t think that I can resist. The next thing I know, my alarm is rocking on my night-stand. Apparently I had fallen asleep. I roll over again and look at the clock, 7:00. Time to get up; I have a big day ahead of me.
*knock knock*
“Honey, its time to get up, get ready for school. Come on sweaty” my mother sings.
“I’m up mom, be out in a second” I groan.
That’s my mother, just like clockwork. 7:00 on the dot, every morning. Just once I wish I could hit snooze. The button has never been hit, I don’t even know if it works. I cuddle with my pillow for just a few more seconds, a final squeeze.
I drag myself up and out of the bed, roaming in my closet for something decent to wear. I forgot to do laundry again. I throw on some cloths and open my bedroom door. I subconsciously say hello the new day. Here we go.